Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

land closures

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
land closures

me and a buddy were up wheelin a little bit last friday. and on our way down the hill a sherrif stopped us and lectured us on how were not supposed to be up there and all the usual stuff they tell you about us being in the wrong. he told us that we may not be the people doing it but its people like us that are making them close everything off to the public even tho its public land.

so my qyestion is what can we do to keep it open. i'm only 18 so i'm new to all this. i've ben wheeling my whole life. and i hate to see it go away because of the few people who ruin it. i'm gonna try to join one of our 4x4 clubs and i try to pick up garbage on the trails when i see it. but what else can we do?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh boy...

Sounds like you got the right idea. Keep it clean, thread lightly, use a quite exhaust if your wheeling near other people, etc.

But, be prepared to get a bunch of crap from people on here.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM

yeah. idk if i just didn't notice it till now or what but it never really bothered me till they fenced off most of the places we used to go. and started arresting people. but we have alot of people around here that give the rest a bad rep
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to be careful of where you wheel nowadays there giving 1000 dollar tickets in some places here.

just do you homework im 16 and i just went to city hall and asked them where i was able to wheel
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it seems like you are on the right track, things you can do
stay on established trails in known areas
-don't make your own trails,
-make sure it is public land, if wheeling on private land, have permission
-support organizations like Tread lightly: http://www.treadlightly.org/
they have a good 4wheeling 101
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php...areness-Course
United 4 Wheel drive:
http://www.ufwda.org/
American For Responsible Recreational Access:
http://www.arra-access.com/site/PageServer

Basically get active to help protect this sport and wheel responsibly
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM

every time we've been stopped or had some one talk to us. they never can tell us any where. we've had people on both sides talk to us thats why i'm gonna try to get into a club
Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM

In oregon it does not have to be posted and you can still get nailed for tresspassing (at least last time I got a ticket thats the way it was). I went up with my son and wife last summer and was giving my son a ride on my 3 wheeler when I looked over and some dude was taking pictures of my license plate. He said that I was the one who dumped some trash up there. I was sooo mad because I always bring back trash thats not mine when I go wheeling/riding cause I like to go and dont want it to get closed. If you see someone littering get there plate # and call to get them into trouble. I guess thats the only way they will learn. There is a place I go wheeling where someone rolled there blazer and thought it would be cool to lite it on fire and leave it there. I was so mad, if I find out who did it there are alot of people looking for them. Your on the right track get involved talk to local bussiness to donate dumpsters to you and your buddys and have a cleanup/wheel day and show the community that you want it open and care.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM

how are you supposed to know if your tresparring or not then? the sherrif did tell us that it doesn't have to be posted around here. but wouldn't tell us how we can know for sure if we are or not.

i see stuff like that all the time people just leave cars. washers and driers and pretty much anything you can think of up there
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM

I guess oregon wants us to use are jedi powers and know what is off limits. Its hard around here cause I went up a public road and about 1 mile up it there was a gate that was closed. A couple of days later I found out it was some farmer trying to keep people (and the county from maintaining it) off of the road so he could "grandfather" some of the property for himself. I found out that if this guy can keep the county form maintaining this road that it kinda becomes his in a way. I dont understand why it doesnt have to be posted, pretty stupid.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 AM

thats reduculous. how can that be legal?