Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Interesting news article

Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting news article

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...-mcmurray.html

this is where I live, this has become a bit of a problem. Up here, most of us are avid somethings. The guy across the road from me opens his garage door and it looks like a powersports commercial. He's got the utility quad, he's got the speed quad, his sled, his bike and his 4wd for mudding. There are tons of winter roads open to 4wd and forestry roads, some are "deactivated" meaning they don't grade them or cut the bush back.

Now the town for quite some time has had an oilboom. This is has lead some people to coming in with their old, out of province vehicles, that they don't want to fix and as you can see from the article, they end up places they shouldn't be. the transient nature of the town coupled with workers who leave their work trucks running outside leads to theft and then destruction. more often then not, it ends up on our more readily used, "beginner's" areas as well as piles of garbage from people who just don't wanna take that old couch/washer/engine block (wish I was exagerating on that last one) to the dump.

this is a very unique area. Between the available options for offroad use and the dedicated people pulling the garbage out when they find it, no one really gets too mad at each other unless someone gets really stupid. It's understood that in summer, the sled trails CAN be used RESPONSIBLY by quads and trucks during the offseason. Staying off public hiking/walking trails and not being obnoxious in public areas is also (mostly) understood. every year, there is the guy they pull off of the groomed sled trail for being a jacka$$ in a pickup though.

From my understanding, the CBC is up here again tomorrow, filming the offroad crew that assists by-law, the fines are now coming from a request from the off-roaders and towing companies. imagine going out to help clean up a place where you love going and breaking something really expensive. Working, not playing mind you. the city and by-law enforcement seem to be willing to go that route to help keep this from happening.

Are any other areas going to these lengths to locate someone to be responsible for the derelicts left on the trails?