FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

08 Cruise Control Overspeed and Unintended Acceleration

Old 12-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
08 Cruise Control Overspeed and Unintended Acceleration

I know this is going to get a lot of "This is BS" responses but, I have to ask. Anybody having issues with this? If you have not had any issues please don't start accusing me of trying to file a law suit or discredit Toyota. I'm not. All my wife and I own are Toyota trucks. My kids all drive Toyota. I used to be pretty active on this forum but, finished my truck and kind of dropped off.

Had a couple incidents with my wife's FJ and do not know how to proceed. Close calls, no injuries or damage but, my wife refuses to drive it anymore. I don't feel right selling it in case it happens again to the next owners. I called the Toyota dealer and of coarse they say these incidents can't happen but, bring it in to be checked out............on my nickle.

It's an 08, auto, A-Trak, Diff Lock that's basically stock and a total mall crawler. Has a Toy-Tec 3" lift, UCA's, and 33's. Approx 150K miles. Never off road except a dirt road camping. I changed ALL fluids when it hit 100K in addition to regular maintenance using Toyota filters and synthetic oil. I even replaced the rubber covers in the wheel wells when they dried out and any plastic clip or part damaged by AZ sun with genuine Toyota parts. My point is that it has been babied. Never had and engine light and still doesn't. It still looks new. Even under the hood and under the chassis.

I got on line to see how to fix the throttle issue and all I see is the floor mat incidents and crashes but, none are the FJ. The few posts I saw on the FJ forum got BLASTED by members saying bull crap, can't happen, dumb driver was on the gas instead of the brake and looking for money from Toyota.

Well our FJ had more than one incident. We were not on the gas by mistake and the floor mat goes nowhere near the pedal, it is clear of obstructions. No one was hurt and truck is not wrecked but, it could have turned out bad.

If there is a member that is a Toyota tech, please let me know if I just need to replace the gas pedal assembly or something simple. Or if I need to take it in for programing or something.

If all I get is bashed and personal attacks mods feel free to delete this post and no one will hear from me again about this.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
That is scary!

I think it could be hard to track down, unless there is a KNOWN problem and a proven fix for an FJ Cruiser.

Does the acceleration happen randomly? Is it only a cruise control problem? How often?

I DO think things like this can happen, but is pretty rare, thus you see the comments. I would still check for any driver error but that seems not to be the case.

I don't know much about how the computer system in the FJ works, but a higher end scan tool that can show live data *might* reveal problems in throttle response or something.

I would make sure that the gas pedal moves freely too.

Sorry I cannot be much help. All I drive is a 1987 22R truck with direct cable from gas pedal to carburetor, no cruise control, and no engine computer.

Good luck and stay safe!

Old 12-11-2016, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. We immediately thought driver error but, then after some thinking and checking my wife and I both have our foot on the brake cruising into her parking lot at work, You have to be on the brake and slow it down into the parking space. Two 90 degree turns into the space. Come to a stop and put it in park. One time.......as she was getting ready to put it in park it hauled ass up a rock wall and over it and stopped before hitting the adjacent building. She swore she took her left foot and added to the brake pedal. It happened in a split second so she didn't even think of putting it into neutral.

Again my first thought was she had to hit the gas. There is no room for two feet and I noticed both back tires looked like they were spinning. It's an open diff. Power braking will often get both wheels to spin but? Has to be in 4WD Low for diff lock and it has to be on. A-Trac is in 4WD High so that shouldn't affect it. Got two tracks dug in the rock and dirt up the bank and rubber on the concrete at the top. I'll post some pics once I resize them. My grand kids are here right now.

Another thing. My daughter asked if it had anything to do with the cruise. Nobody ever told me it was an issue. My daughter said she was on I-10 with cruise set at 75. (speed limit in this area) Then suddenly the speed shot up 20 mph and she doesn't remember if she hit the brake or turned the cruise off. My wife said it has done it randomly so she quit using it. They don't remember if it down shifted or just sped up. Thanks for telling me girls.

Like I said it has never had a check engine light. I have never had it anywhere for service other than for the alignment after installing the lift years ago.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:18 PM

Here is the wall it climbed........In TWO wheel drive. First time off road.

Notice the two dug out spots and two rubber tracks. Why with open diff? Landscapers had already put rocks back before I got pics.

Like new. No obstructions.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Not really room for both feet on the gas by mistake. Possible I guess but, unlikely.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Another view. It made it to the top and idled down just before hitting building. Idled it down and around to where it is parked in these pics.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 PM

Looks like right wheel was spinning.

Looks like left wheel was spinning also. Why with open diff?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM

Only damage is to tow hooks and receiver hitch.

I expected much more damage. This is it. Plus it made it up that incline in 2WD which is amazing.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Nice FJ. My wife will NOT drive it anymore. That WAS my Tacoma in the picture. She jacked it and I am now driving either my 88 in my avatar or my 52 Ford F3. The FJ is for sale unless someone has an idea. If she really did step on the gas, it does not explain the runaway cruise control. If nothing is wrong somebody will be getting a great FJ. If something is wrong, I hope no one gets injured or killed.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Dusty but completely stock under the hood. What IF......one foot on brake and one on gas? Or both on brake and throttle stuck open? What would the anti lock brakes do? I'm hoping for input by a Toyota Tech.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:41 PM

I was really hoping a Toyota tech would chime in. I really do appreciate not hearing sarcastic remarks. My wife and I decided to take it to the dealer and have it checked out. We just can't take the chance of this happening to whoever we sell it to.

I probably won't take it in until after Christmas. I will post up whatever they do or don't find.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
When I joined in 2013, there were a few active Toyota Techs on the forums. I haven't heard from any in a while (unless there is a frequent member that I am unaware of).

Of all of the car / truck forums I have visited, YotaTech has been by far the nicest and most helpful. I hope you find out the cause of the problems!

Have a good holiday!

Old 12-22-2016, 05:15 PM

Thanks Jake. Members really are pretty nice here. I got a lot of help when I built my crawler.

I called another dealership today and got a lot more help. They put me in contact with Toyota corporate. Was on the phone with them about 50 minutes. I am supposed to be contacted by a case manager by end of day Tues. Hopefully my wife can get her truck checked out and fixed if there is a problem. I'm sure she would love to keep her FJ. It's her baby.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:01 PM

Well, Toyota Corp. sent an "independent" firm to download the Event Data Recorder today. I brought the truck to a dealer for the inspection. They would not disclose the findings per protocol with the dealership or me. I was told they send the info to Toyota engineers who will contact me in a few weeks. I will also get a copy of the information at this time. I was informed that there was more damage than I thought. One of the lower rear control arms is bent and both rear shocks are damaged and leaking. I was told if it is determined that the truck had a problem, they would cover the repairs. The truck was driven and no problems occurred during the test drive.

I requested that the dealership do all the recall items while the truck was there. Parts are ordered so I'll have to bring it back when they come in. I was treated very well by the inspector (by phone) and the dealership staff. We won't be driving the FJ but, I have a couple items to fix before we sell it. I've got to replace the CV boots that are starting to leak, I was told the water pump is starting to seep and I may as well replace the bent control arm and rear shocks.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Got a copy of the retrieved data. I can make sense of the impact data but the stuff I really want to know like throttle position, brake application and such is listed as PID's and EEPROM Address Data which seems to be confidential Toyota info. Hopefully Toyota is straight up with us. If it's our fault, I'll fix it and move on . If not, I hope they make it right. We're not driving or selling it until we know it's safe. I was nervous enough driving it to the dealership. Hand on the shift lever all the way.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM

OK, got the official letter from Toyota today saying based on the person doing the test drive not being able to duplicate the problem and looking at the data there is no problem with the truck. I wish I had access to their proprietary codes just so I could be 100% assured but, I don't. If there was property damage or personal injury, I would feel compelled to get an attorney.

People make mistakes but I do not have answers for why brakes did not over ride throttle as I was told it should, why is there two tracks digging in the dirt and up the wall on an open diff? Did anti lock system have something to do with this? Data shows crash occurrence but the proprietary codes keep me from knowing status of throttle and brake application and other pertinent info. Taking Toyota at their word is not enough assurance for us to keep driving this truck.

Have appointment next week for all the recall items to get done, I'll replace the bent lower control arm and on the market it goes. I'll provide a copy of the letter from Toyota. This is not a Toyota bash. All my entire family owns is Toyota. (Besides my 1952 Ford Truck project)

Search this Thread