93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

97 Toyota T100 check engine light from (bad words)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Toyota T100 check engine light from (bad words)

So my story begins with a 97 Toyota T100 that ive had for a number of years and although i love the T100 trucks (This being the second one ive had) they have never really been as powerful as i would like, so i decided to supercharge. So i got all the TRD supercharger and the URD 7th injector and hooked everything up and BAM she ran great! Untill around 3 or 4 months later and the i got a p0330 check engine light that even if reset would come back on immediately. So I decided to have them both replaced (one of the few times i didnt do it myself) as well as the wiring harnesses. Go to pick up the truck and drive it around and its great again up untill about a month later now and the same p0330 check engine light comes on again. So i reset it to see what if itll come back on and surprisingly it didnt, for about a week or so. I reset it again and the same thing, ive come to realize that it only does it if the truck is cold and about mid way through warming up if im driving it will come on again, if i let it sit till its completely warmed up it wont do it. So ive kinda just got use to letting it completely warm up before driving it, and all was well and grand sort of. Even though in the back of my head i was always trying to figure out what was happening i kind of just let it go untill on the way back from a long trip on the highway i got a check engine light again and this time it was a p0325 code so i reset it and it came on again on the same trip, reset it again and it hasnt come on since. So pretty much what im trying to say here is someone help im pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your getting detonation. THats why the knock sensor code keeps popping up.

1. Use only premium fuel

2. Possibly need to Upgrade the injectors and fuel pump as well. Ive heard og guys with supercharged 4runners doing it with good success

3. Did you email URD perhaps? Maybe they have a fix?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:40 PM

Detonation is what i originally thought as well but after researching the codes p0330 code says knock sensor 2 circuit bank 2 and the p0325 says knock sensor 1 circuit bank 1 or single sensor. From what i understand that whenever these codes trip the ecu didnt get a signal from the knock sensor, thats why it has circuit bank in the code as well instead of just knock sensor. All this leads me to believe that its not detonation as well as i use premium fuel and the fuel pump is upgraded along with the 7th injector running. I was thinking maybe it was an electrical problem but seeing as i had the knock sensors and wiring harnesses replaced im not sure i could be wrong about the whole think and you could be right about it being detonation, but i also dont hear it if it is and the check engine light only comes on when im at about 2000 to 3000 rpm sometimes less and im never pushing it hard when it happens.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:47 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its possible its a false flag and just gets triggered when the ECU doesnt get the exact proper signal. Ive heard of people having this issue on toyotas and just wiring the sensor so the ECU is tricked. If you goggle it you can find more info.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 AM

Yeah i read a post where a guy did that but although it is very tempting to be done with it by just rigging it up to trick the ecu, i dont really like doing anything like that, specially as a permanent solution. Is there any way that maybe its the ecu it self went bad? Thats the only other thing i can think of apart from trying to completely rewire the knock sensors all the way to the ecu.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since its so random have you scoped the output of the o2 sensors? Is it possible the timing is just a hair too far advanced? Running new wires to the knock sensors is not a bd idea, wires get old, insulation cracks, connections corrode. All I can think of cleaning connectors and inspecting, checking for abrasion. Its too infrequent to be a failed part per se. One trick I heard but don't recomend is backing the o2 sensors out with a washer for a spacer.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:46 PM

I havent checked the o2 sensor output yet, i was also thinking that the guy that put the knock sensors in could have put ones in with the wrong resistance. I think though ill run new wires to the knock sensor or to the pig tail since they are new. If that gets me no where i might try to get it all dyno tuned and see if that helps out. Yeah i completely agree with you on not recomending the spacers, i dont generally like the rigged to work solutions.