93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

97 T100 - Vibrating Rattle While In 4WD (Accelerating)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 T100 - Vibrating Rattle While In 4WD (Accelerating)

I searched for this topic, but I didn't see any threads that might be helpful, so, sorry if I missed it. As the title states, I have a 97 T100, SR5 Extended Cab AT, 256k on the clock. Never had anything seriously wrong with it and I try to perform regular maintenance on it as often as possible, but this time I think I'll take it into the dealer.

Here's the specific problem: when in 4WD, I hear a horrible clanking noise of some kind from about the middle of the vehicle. This noise speeds up and slows down in time with the vehicle's speed, but it doesn't do it in 2WD and it doesn't do it (or at least I can't hear it) unless I'm actively applying pressure to the pedal.

Instead of trying to describe a sound to you, I took a couple videos, which I will share with yall.

This one is just me driving down a side street. As you can hear, it sounds awful hence my concern. At 48 seconds, I pop it back into 2WD, to demonstrate that it doesn't make that noise while 4WD isn't activated.

This is one of me lying in the snow and trying to point out where I heard the noise. I had my girl drive the truck in 4WD while I walked next to it, and this is about where the sound came from. I originally thought it was a suspension component, maybe one of my joints or something, but it came from about there. Apologies for the dirtiness of my rig, my voice and possibly my shaky camera, lol.

Any help or suggestions about what it could be would be greatly appreciated. My goal here is obviously to fix it, but I'd like to know what I could be facing, cost-wise, and I figure knowing what it might be could help with that. Thank you for reading this.