93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

97 SR5 T00 - No power to front wheels in 4x4 (Bad Solenoid)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 SR5 T00 - No power to front wheels in 4x4 (Bad Solenoid)

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1997 SR5 T100 and am in the process of fixing it up and outfitting it for road trips. It shifts into 4x4 mode just fine but the front 2 wheels don't get any power so I took it to a local mechanic.
He figured out that one of the solenoid's is not working which he said was an easy fix, however, there are very few of these OEM parts left available and he could only find 3 specifically available in the USA at $700+. Alternatively, he mentioned he found a "universal" solenoid part that he thinks should fit but might need slight modification for about $80. I'm in no hurry to get it fixed so I figured I'd come home and do some research before making a decision.
I haven't been able to find the OEM part anywhere online, though I'm not exactly sure where to look. However, I did find one that claims to fit my 97 SR5 T100 for $33 here: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ssion+Solenoid
I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to if this is the right part that I need as I don't know much about these things (trying to learn) OR if someone could point in the right direction to find the OEM part. I don't mind waiting weeks+ if I can find the part in another country for cheap.
Attached a photo of the solenoid for reference, it's the rusty looking one towards the bottom that isn't working
Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lmao
sorry bro,
those are VSV -vacuum switching valves
they are a dime-a-dozen anywhere. all they do is control which way vacuum goes to the front ADD to lock or unlock the front wheels.
i was stuck in the snow, found out the hard way that my 4WD didnt work. (this is after a full engine rebuild)
took it to shop, discovered my buddy (helped me rebuild my engine) - had swapped the vacuum lines. FIXED.

Last edited by tacobo670; 01-26-2017 at 05:53 PM.