General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Light Switch and shift removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Light Switch and shift removal

Hi folks, new here. I have a 94 T100 4x4, 3.0. Just moved to Virginia and having a hard time getting past inspection. My reverse lights do not work anymore. Surprised me, I thought they did? Replaced bulbs, then back up switch.

Tested the back up switch wires and they work when the switch is pressed before I installed it. I also tested the wire socket shorting it across the leads. Yes the lights do work. I am testing it with the key full on, motor not running, and shifter in reverse. This should work, yes?

All I can think of for a next step is to pull up the shifter and boot and see if I can get into the shift linkage area, Maybe the revers linkage has missed a gate or something? I have the online chiltons at my library, but that is poorly indexed and I Cant find too much there that seems to help.

I have removed two screws at the side of the main shift lever and pulled the rubber boot off around the front. The rear seems to stay attached. Can someone please tell me what I should do to remove the boot? Do I also need to unscrew the 4X shifter as well? I don’t want to damage the boot or mess up reinstalling it.

Any tips or encouragement would be appreciated.

Thanks
David
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow 114 people looked in and no one has any opinions for a new guy?

I believe I have read that the switch itself is simply trouble prone. I don't believe it has to be done from inside the vehicle but from underneath at the tranny connection.

I don't pretend to know T100s specifically but welcome to this fine forum and feel free to post up in your appropriate vehicle section as well. I presume your T100 is an auto tranny? but not sure how I am guessing that. No I am not sure you can count on the vehicle showing backup lights without the ignition in the run position. Does it work in accessory mode and not ignition mode or never at all?

Continue to elaborate and we will keep this "up top on the page" and get you some better feedback.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks, I was thinking this forum was a no-show?

I got by inspection when the guy told me to remove the bulbs and pull the sockets out. After inspection I put them back but I still want to fix it.

This is a manual 4x4 3.0.

I bought a new reverse switch. It works. But when I screwed it in, it no longer works. The only conclusion I can draw is that there is something in where the shift linkage goes against the switch on the inside of the tranny.

That is what I was asking about, how to remove the rubber boot. It appears to be covering both the regular shifter lever, and the hi low 4x4 shifter.

I was also wondering, if this was the proper forum to ask if anyone actually knows if this plan makes any sense? If there is any knowledge of what I might find and if there is any way the adjust what is inside, where the reverse linkage is supposed to kick the switch on the inside?

Thanks

David
Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
FSM http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Detailed pics etc etc I would chime in but I have never had to mess with the reverse switch
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DavidG did you get this solved? cause that is how we all learn and get better at this
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

In this day it is so easy to get the wrong part in the correct box.

Did you compare the old and new switch when you swapped them

Another thing is to check that the contacts where the new switch and harness plug together When jumped they may work but not when plugged together.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Do you have the correct light bulb? 1156 i think. Do you have a test light? If so, key on transmission in reverse.
Check to see that you have power to the switch and out the other side. If yes check at the tail light harness at the rear. If no, do you have power to the switch? if no check fuses. If power too the switch but not out, Pull the switch from transmission and manually depress it and check that power flows through.
If you have power to the rear tail light harness, pull the bulbs out and test for power to the socket * the inside lead contact* If yes do you have ground at the socket body? *part that brass outer casing of bulb touches. If no, then you have a ground problem. Ground properly and it should work.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 AM

The backup lights in my 99 4runner V6 Manual tran.work intermittently and I think I know why, but am at a loss of how to fix it. Awhile back they did not work at all. I checked every thing electrical and everthing checked out ok. I pulled the switch off the transmission and pressed the little ball and the lights worked. I assumed there is something on the tranny linkage that depresses that little ball to activate the ligts. I installed the switch without the washer and the lights starting working.. But after a time they are beginning to flash off and on while in reverse. Any ideas.