General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Liftgate Cargo Light Problem (door switch only works when truck is on)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Liftgate Cargo Light Problem (door switch only works when truck is on)

2001 4Runner. When using the "door" function on the rear cargo light, the cargo light only turns on when the truck is "on." Also, the "door ajar" indicator only illuminates for the rear liftgate when the truck is "on." I'm assuming both the rear cargo light and the "door ajar" indicator should turn on any time the rear liftgate is opened, regardless of whether the truck is "on." Any ideas what the problem might be?

Other possibly related or unrelated electrical problems:

1. Rear wiper suddenly quit working (I have already tried the rear window reset trick, and the defroster appears to be working, so the problem seems to be isolated to the wiper. I have not yet checked current to the motor or the motor itself).

2. I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the truck into program mode so I can program a new key fob. Since something seems to be wrong with the rear liftgate's communicating with whatever controls the cargo light and the "door ajar" light, I wonder if whatever computer controls the programming mode doesn't think the rear liftgate is closed, which is one of the requirements for getting into programming mode.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It would seem someone has changed the wiring for the rear light.

Could be the rear doors were left open for a long periods of time draining the battery.

Kids leave the door open come to use the vehicle the battery is dead.

Maybe Gremlins ??

Unless you have had this since new .
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's actually an interesting theory. The previous owner did have a switch inline that deactivated the driver door switch for some reason. Perhaps he did something to the rear hatch, too. I wonder how I would look for a modification...