General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No running lights 93 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No running lights 93 pickup

title says it all. I have a 93 22r-e with not running lights. I do however have headlights, brakes, turns and hazzards. If you turn the switch to park, you can hear the relay click. But nothing. Not even instrument guages lighting. Ive checked the fuse for tails and it is good. Even swapped it for a know good fuse. Has anyone encountered this problem?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:09 PM

bump.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM

none has any input?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked for power at each bulb?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, see if there is any power at the bulbs. Might be the tail light relay is not working right. It may be the clicking noise you hear, meaning the relay coil is still energizing, but the contacts may be pitted or dirty and not actually making electrical contact. Do any of the dash lights work? And have you done any electircal work on the truck recently, for example installing a radio or CD player or even a trailer wiring harness?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Yes, see if there is any power at the bulbs. Might be the tail light relay is not working right. It may be the clicking noise you hear, meaning the relay coil is still energizing, but the contacts may be pitted or dirty and not actually making electrical contact. Do any of the dash lights work? And have you done any electircal work on the truck recently, for example installing a radio or CD player or even a trailer wiring harness?
ive got nothing. no power at the bulbs, nothing at the dash. And no i have not done any electrical work recently. But i have installed a radio years ago. Is the gauges powered by the same relay as the running lights or is it on a seperate circuit?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Typically the same relay powers the dash and parking lights.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM

have you solved this problem?
i am having the running lights fuse blow everytime i throw a new fuse in it in my 89 and 93. i think it might be a low resistence factor/short to ground/relay problem. anyhelp?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Things to try/look for.

1. If a trailer wiring adapter is installed, disconnect it and test the lights.
a. If fuse still blows, it is not the adapter.
b. If fuse holds, it is something in the trailer adapter.

2. Remove the light bulbs from all the lamps and try testing.
a. If fuse holds, then install a bulb at a time until the fuse blows - then that bulb or socket is the issue.
b. If fuse still blows w/ no bulbs, likely a wiring issue, look for chafed insulation in wiring harness.

Look for bulbs that are incorrect; like an (single terminal/filament) 1156 bulb in an (dual terminal/filament) 1157 socket, or bulbs with internal shorts, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM

its 2wd. i hope there is no trailer adapter. ha
time to go buy more fuses
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM

i have the same problem on my 88....my rear lights have been taken out and soldered and heat shrinked a trailer harness to power the led trailer lights...notheing else has been modded. im goin to buy a new TAILLamp fuse thats located under the fuse cluster and see if that helps. some times ill be driving and then boom they come on. i tore apart ALL the factory wrapping around ENTIRE front wire parking/marker lamps and found them wet/muddy but not frayed or warn...hmmmm i have no idea...im thinking about soldering in a whole new trailer harness incase the current one has water. sry about the paragraph....ive donr almost everything.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM

check the fuse panel inuder the dash,for parking light fuse or w/e this should be it.
it happend to me no gauge cluster no running lights
Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 PM

1985 toyota pickup no running, tail, stop lights in rear

I have a 85 toyota pickup which I have no lights whatsoever in the rear of the vehicle, the headlights work, front turn and running lights work no rear, I started at the fuses all good except I found no power to the tail light fuse, so I changed the tail light relay, now I have power to the fuse, but still nothing to the rear, any help is appreciated thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM

If the tail relay is clicking then there is voltage from the light control switch.
With a volt meter, Pull the Taillight fuse and turn on parking lights, Check for voltage.
No voltage, replace relay.
Have voltage, Look for all grounding points near fuse panel for the dash lights, Don't forget to look up behind the drivers speaker, Loose and retighten.
Outside parking lights look for ground points near the lights and retighten them.

For you others blowing the tail fuse.
Check all the ground points as mentioned above.
Then look for worn or frayed wires near fuse panel, Behind radio, cig lighter over to the glovebox.
Look at the wiring harness that runs from center dash to the auto shifter and center column.
The rear parking light harness follows the driver side interior floor (All 4runner wiring inside, Truck harness runs outside after the cab)(My 92 EXC pops out near the torsionbar passenger side) , Suggest looking for hidden trailer connector.
In the front the wiring for the corner and bumper markers is exposed to outside influence and you should check and make sure there not damaged.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Ok cool ill check that tomorrow and let you know what I find thankyou
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Ok heres what I found out checked the ground wires by the drivers side speaker all good, checked the floor connector on the passenger side of the seat, I have power to the turn signals and emergency flasher but there is still no power to the rear lights and at the connector the left side turn signal is very weak and flashes lower than the turn signal like a bad ground, so I think I have multiple issues any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by njoehow246
suggestions would be appreciated thanks

All I can suggest is look underneath for the harness and follow it, Maybe even a plug that has oxidation on it, Also check for a ground strap between the bed and cab.
Inside the light fixture wiggle the bulbs and look for a wire that might be a ground.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:49 PM

i was having same problem too turned out it was the radio. unplugged it and everything is working and not blowing fuses. i read a few other posts around saying the stock radio went bad shorting it out but in my case i used the green wire as ground instead of the brown wire. couldnt hurt to try but getting to the radio is time consuming.

Last edited by williscr3; 07-18-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Try this?
With tail lights on measure voltage on positive pin of tail light socket, and negative probe to body ground.

...I have no lights whatsoever in the rear of the vehicle, the headlights work, front turn and running lights work no rear
Please clarify and do more checks...we need to see what's really going on.
No rear what?
No rear turn signals?
No rear tail lights?
no stop lights?
No backup lights?

If all of the above do not work it must be a ground issue like Punchy mentioned above ^^^. All of the above share a common ground point "C".

On the 86 4Runner ground comes from body ground in left-side kick panel, to the wide connector there and then to pillar ground behind left-side rear quarter panel near the roll-bar.

...no power to the rear lights
Do you mean no power to rear "tail Lights" or also no power to "turn signal lights"?

and at the connector the left side turn signal is very weak and flashes lower than the turn signal...
voltage at left turn signal is lower than which turn signal?

...like a bad ground... ...so I think I have multiple issues any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
Or a bad ground like you said ^^. Ground is common to those lights.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM

Ok heres the latest I followed the wiring harness from the floor connection on the floor next to the passenger side seat under the truck I found the harness had been ripped in half right behind the fuel tank I rewired all the wires back with butt connectors and wrapped it up in electric tape and secured the harness in a safe place, now I have turn signals, hazards, and brake lights, but still have no tail lights or front running lights, gees!, so the running/tail lights must be on a separate circut...so what do I check now, thanks for your help guys....

Quick Reply: No running lights 93 pickup