General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on wiring up switches to operate new aux lights

Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice on wiring up switches to operate new aux lights

I purchased a couple of these switches a while back from a friend of mine for less than nothing: http://www.performanceproducts.com/p...g+Light+Switch

Yesterday, another friend helped me install 6 lights on my 4Runner w/ 4 of the lights being tied to one switch and the other 2 lights being tied to the other switch. (4 lights on the front of the roof rack and 2 on the back...pics will come soon.)

As you can see from the link above, these lights are designed to light up when you supply them w/ power. I did not see how my friend hooked them up, and now he's out of town for two weeks so no help there.

My problem is, when I turn the knob to the left of my steering wheel that controls the brightness of the dash lights all the way up to make everything real bright, the new aux. switch lights go completely off. But when I turn the dash lights completely off, the aux. switch lights are as bright as they can be. Another words, as the dash lights get brighter, the switch lights fade away and vise versa.

So as it stands now, I have my dash lights quite dim, just so I can faintly see my switch lights. I want to be able to run my dash lights as bright as the knob will allow without having my switch lights go completely off.

I assume this is occuring b/c the new switch lights are draining all the power. How do I correct this problem? I guess I need to trace to see where he tapped the power into for the lights on the switch to light up, but where should I tap power into to keep this problem from occuring?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do the new switches HAVE to be dimmable???

oh and the lights go through relays right?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like he may of taped the acc line from the switch to the dimmer

Last edited by Elton; 02-27-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I would just tap new power wire. Just trace it back from the switch, and pull that bad boy out, and go...hell anywhere, run it back to the battery if you want... Should fix it. I dont think there is anyway those switches are draining enough power....the lights maybe...but not the switches. lol.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
do the new switches HAVE to be dimmable???

oh and the lights go through relays right?
Yes, the lights are going through relays.

And No, the switch lights do NOT have to be dimmable. I would prefer them to be bright at all times.

If he did in fact route the power wire it to the dimmer knob, why do they do dim when I brighten the dash lights and brighten when I dim the dash lights?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Yeah I would just tap new power wire. Just trace it back from the switch, and pull that bad boy out, and go...hell anywhere, run it back to the battery if you want... Should fix it. I dont think there is anyway those switches are draining enough power....the lights maybe...but not the switches. lol.
So I just need to find a current working accessory power wire and tap both power wires off the switches into that wire correct? For example, my 2 aux outlets under my ashtray or my dash clock power wires would work correct?

I've already got another accessory tapped into my dash clock to power its lights on, so would tapping these 2 switches into the same clock wire mess anything up?

Oh and if I avoid all this and run a tap straight to the battery, do I risk having any electrical issues? Meaning will it be okay if the switches have constant power to the actual lights within the switches?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Just get a new 12V cause I know from experience he has tapped the dimmer wire. The rheostat adjusts the power to the dash lights so as it allows more power to the dash lights it is taking power away from the other power tap that is in the circuit. As you lessen the power to the dash lights more power is available for the tap thus the lights get brighter.

That is how a rheostat is supposed to work.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

The whole idea of a relay is to have less "juice" running to a switch in your cab, since you may exceed the load rating of the switch.
Banned

search in the tech section to find a write up. Follow it to a T
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Just get a new 12V cause I know from experience he has tapped the dimmer wire. The rheostat adjusts the power to the dash lights so as it allows more power to the dash lights it is taking power away from the other power tap that is in the circuit. As you lessen the power to the dash lights more power is available for the tap thus the lights get brighter.

That is how a rheostat is supposed to work.

I see. That makes sense now. He obviously did not know that. I'll be sure to make him away of that

Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

you can run the wire to anything, to tap power, I've always recommended the ACC wire going to radio, or digging through mess behind fuse box
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

i have two switches for my lights and the acc line is taped in to the battery side of the relay an the connector so its still fused from the battery
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
you can run the wire to anything, to tap power, I've always recommended the ACC wire going to radio, or digging through mess behind fuse box
Not to sound stupid, but how do I locate this wire or know what it looks like?

I would like the switches to light up when the key is in the ACC position.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 02-27-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
I would like the switches to light up when the key is in the ACC position.
i guess you could tap into the remote turn on wire for the stereo

Last edited by Elton; 02-27-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
So I just need to find a current working accessory power wire and tap both power wires off the switches into that wire correct? For example, my 2 aux outlets under my ashtray or my dash clock power wires would work correct?

I've already got another accessory tapped into my dash clock to power its lights on, so would tapping these 2 switches into the same clock wire mess anything up?

Oh and if I avoid all this and run a tap straight to the battery, do I risk having any electrical issues? Meaning will it be okay if the switches have constant power to the actual lights within the switches?

The only problem I see with tapping the aux power outlets or your clock for power is that the truck would have to be on for it to work. If that is just power for the lighted switch, thats fine, but if its the power for the lights, then I see it as a problem that you won't ever be able to use the lights unless the truck is on.

just my .02
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

i thought the switches are designed to light up only when your lights are actually on....
Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 AM

^ many can be wired to have the lights on continuously, regardless of switch poisition
Old 02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

^ Correct.

The switches are designed to stay lit while the truck is ON and not just while the aux lights themselves are on. This allows you to easily find the switches at night instead of fumbling around "feeling" for the right switch to turn on.

And yes, I'm simply looking to get power to light up the switches themselves instead of the actual aux lights out front.

Oh and it would not bother me if the lights only came on when the vehicle was on. At least this way it would keep someone (or myself for that matter) from turning on the lights, then turning the truck off and forgetting to turn the lights off, thus draining my battery.

I'm fine with them working only if the truck is on.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 02-27-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, I've got another idea. I would rather have my new switches light up when I turn the parking lights on...or at least whenever my dash lights turn on. This way they are not lit all the time, just when I go to turn my dash lights and headlights on.

Now my question is, does anyone know which wire and where to find it to tap into so they will light up only when the dash lights are turned on?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You will need a 4 prong switch, I just did this.
Switch lights up when the parking lamps are on, and I wired them to the 12v side of the parking lamp circuit up front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on wiring up switches to operate new aux lights