General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting tapped with Blinker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Lighting tapped with Blinker?

I really hope the title makes sense. So I got this idea from a box truck at work. Basically all it is is a light on the side of the cab that turns ON when you flip the blinker to that side, driver or passenger. So that reminded me of how bad the marker lights are when it comes to the side of the truck, especially when making a turn.

So my questions are, first off wiring is not my strong hold, is there anyway to tap a light into the blinker switch in the steering column to turn a light on when the turn signal is flipped that direction? I'm honestly thinking about using something like trail gears LED strands. They consist of a ground and a positive I think.

My other question is, if I were to do that would it would flash like the blinkers or is there a way to keep it solid? Hopefully someone can chime down and give me the scoop on that idea. I hope all that made sense, I personally think that would be a cool idea to have that.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 PM

I'm not sure i follow your question, but basically you want an interior light to turn on when you turn you turn signal on? Why would you want that?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM

haha not quite. I want to put a light on the side of my bumper that turns on when I turn the blinker on.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM

hahahaha oh wow i have not idea how i got that. Thats very doable, i have it on mine haha...I got orange strip leds, and tied them into the blinker wiring...also tied in the marker lights as blinkers.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Really? I honestly just looked through your thread a few minutes ago and didn't see anything like that.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Yea sorry, I forget to post alot of little things. I thought I put the marker lights in there though, or maybe in a thread...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM

No I am not looking for a blinker. I am looking to create a solid light that only comes on with the blinker, doesn't flash at all. Just like having lights wired to a switch on your dash. You flip the switch and on they come. I basically want that but I want the switch to be the blinker, flipping the blinker left turns it on while centering it turns it off. I see what you are talking about with your lights. Something like that but i'm hoping they stay solid, NO FLASHING. After reading that you wired them to the blinkers I do not see this idea being possible.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
he wants to make it like gm had done for yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars. It lights up the way you're turning so you can see where you're turning.

I would think you run 2 relays and tap into the turn signal switch before the flasher to trigger the relays.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM

haha yea! that ^^^ And that makes sense. I found the wiring diagram on the FSM so it looks like I would just need to pull apart the steering column and find the correct wiring. Finding the flasher might be tricky,and be grounding two relays might be trickier. That definitely makes sense! Thanks man!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by StewsRunner
haha yea! that ^^^ And that makes sense. I found the wiring diagram on the FSM so it looks like I would just need to pull apart the steering column and find the correct wiring. Finding the flasher might be tricky,and be grounding two relays might be trickier. That definitely makes sense! Thanks man!
Good idea. Right now, the driver in the blind spot does not see our blinkers.
I'd hate to dig into the steering column for that so, I would just install a blinker on my fenders, like many European model cars already have-
Including this earlier Yota:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xnWKz7Cthkk#t=22 s[/YOUTUBE]

I'm shocked that the U.S. highway safety authorities have not required this yet.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Thats a good idea. What kind of lights do you plan on using?
Also, would they come on with the hazards?
cus i don't think they would, or want them to.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Well I was thinking of something like Trail Gear's LED strands but thinking about it, I could see that being a bad idea. I think they might just be too bright! If you had a driver right next too you and you flip your blinker and those LEDs come on, that might be VERY distracting to the other driver. I do not want something that is on constantly, just something that comes on when I am turning or merging so, like Vital said, I can see where i'm actually going haha. I'm thinking maybe just something like these? These are on Trail Gears website as well.

And I personally would not like them too come on with the hazards. Looking at the diagram below, and going off of what Vital said, just tap a relay in before the flasher and it could possibly work. On the diagram, you'll notice the turn signal and hazard are no where near each other so I think I could do it WITHOUT tapping the hazards as well. I cant post a pic but here is a link.
Just copy and paste, I think it'll work

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Toyota%20FSM/Toyota.4Runner.1990.1995/FSM/toyewpdf/vfewdsou/1995/954runne/systemci/tshwl.pdf
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
he wants to make it like gm had done for yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars.
...they might just be too bright! If you had a driver right next too you and you flip your blinker and those LEDs come on, that might be VERY distracting to the other driver. I do not want something that is on constantly, just something that comes on when I am turning or merging so, like Vital said, I can see where i'm actually going haha. I'm thinking maybe just something like these? These are on Trail Gears website as well.
What you and Vital are talking abut are side-facing driving lights that stay on while your blinkers are on, The trailgear in pic are actually meant for blinkers. That's what I actually want to use.

...I personally would not like them too come on with the hazards. Looking at the diagram below, and going off of what Vital said, just tap a relay in before the flasher and it could possibly work. On the diagram, you'll notice the turn signal and hazard are no where near each other so I think I could do it WITHOUT tapping the hazards as well.
I cant post a pic but here is a link. Just copy and paste, I think it'll work...
file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Toyota%20FSM/Toyota.4Runner.1990.1995/FSM/toyewpdf/vfewdsou/1995/954runne/systemci/tshwl.pdf
Unfortunately the pdf is on your local hard drive so we could not access it. Please post link where you downloaded it from.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Sorry, i'm trying to copy the picture and post it but I can't . For anyone that still has the FSM it is the turn signal and hazard light section in the wiring page. I downloaded it from a link that DropZone posted on the R.I.P FSM thread, http://web.archive.org/web/200807310...ttora.com/fsm/

yes what vital and I are talking about is exactly what you just said. I want something that shines light in that direction so I can see where I am going and you want blinkers on the side of your truck so other vehicles can see that blinker when they are unable to see your original blinkers. I guess basically the same idea, just have to tap in different locations. and are you sure those lights are meant for blinkers? I'm gonna give trail gear a call tomorrow and ask a few questions about these lights. I think the clear, if made for a blinker, may be just enough light to shine up the sides of the vehicle.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Have you decided what lights and where to install them?
I found this from an Aussie guy and it looks good, although his is a 1st gen and they are marker lights. A white LED would do more than enough lighting and show the path you are going to be turning into.

Originally Posted by dunnarunner
Things have been a bit slow lately but now I have my week ends back I can get onto some more things, one of the things I had to try and sort out was the indicators. I have moved them away from the bull bar and placed them solely on the front blinker it self, this posed a problem because now there isn't enough electricity to operate the indicators at a slow rate now, so I have fitted some extra lights to the side, alas not enough power being used to make it work though, maybe have to go LED. I have also got a start on the rear bumper come storage area. (for compressed air) So we will have to wait and see what happens next.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 PM

I have the trail gear amber ones. They replaced my turn signals but you can also use them to be constantly on. As far as lighting up the road in the direction you are turning they will not be bright enough. They are great for marker lights or turn signals but not lighting up the path on the ground in front of you.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlindfoldMemphis
I found this from an Aussie guy and it looks good, although his is a 1st gen and they are marker lights. A white LED would do more than enough lighting and show the path you are going to be turning into.
Originally Posted by elblako91
As far as lighting up the road in the direction you are turning they will not be bright enough. They are great for marker lights or turn signals but not lighting up the path on the ground in front of you.
Agree with elblako91. Those would be good marker/turn signal lights, and excellent price, too! However, 2.5" x1" may be too big for fender mounted turn signals.

I like the Aussie one. Looks about the same size as stock lights on U.K. or possibly Aussie first-gens.

StewsRunner, I looked at Schematic and I think anything hooked up to either turn signal will be flashing (interrupted by flasher relay). You can probably make it steady on as long as turn signal is on by using time-delay relay. You gotta do some shopping for the right one. Also, lights will also stay steady on with hazard signal. With creative use of diodes, resistors & time-delay relays, you may be able to prevent light from coming on with hazard but that would be to much trouble. OR you can simply add a switch to turn it off when using the hazard signal
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The ones i'm talking about do not blink. They turn on with the blinkers to light up the direction you're turning. As for the location they are usually low/below bumper and close to the front.
Like on this cadilac.
http://images.cars.com/phototab/DMI/197641/2206/01.jpg

Last edited by vital22re; 10-26-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 AM

YES! Just what Memphis posted of the other guy's truck however like Vital said, up closer to the bumper.

Hey elblako, thanks for the tip! Yea they look a little cheesy too me.

And RAD, are you sure? I mean like I said before wiring and anything electrical is beyond me but looking at the diagram, the red arrow is pointing to the flasher and the blue circle is the wire from the turn signal to the flasher, i think. Like Vital said, if I were to tap a relay in right there and connect it too a light, wouldn't the turn signal activate it and keep it solid because it is not yet to the flasher, or after it? I'm not trying to doubt what you said, just trying to clarify
Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 AM

And RAD, are you sure? ...if I were to tap a relay in right there and connect it too a light, wouldn't the turn signal activate it and keep it solid because it is not yet to the flasher, or after it? I'm not trying to doubt what you said, just trying to clarify
No problem, Stewsrunner; its called brainstorming
Doing my ZUK today (YeeY!) so can't look into much detail. However, after quick look, looks like the light blue with red stripe wire going to turn signals is already after the flasher, meaning it will already be interrupted signal. If you tapped signal to a time-delay relay off one turn signal you could make that relay stay for predetermined time period so relay output stays on even when flasher turns on or off. Gotta find the right relay that does that. Explanation here. Again, like I mentioned earlier, light will also stay on with hazard, so you could use a switch to de-activate it when using your hazard light.

Quick Reply: Lighting tapped with Blinker?