General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Wiring fuel pump '88 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Wiring fuel pump '88 pickup

Hey guys, I've been through the wringer with countless tests trying to figure out why my engine isn't getting fuel. I have a 1988 toyota p/u with the 22RE engine in it and i know i'm not getting fuel due to something electrical. However, I have checked all the relays including the COR all of which have been fine as far as voltage is concerned. I also dropped the tank and pulled the pump to make sure it wasn't burnt out and in face it pushes gas just fine. I'm too a point where I feel it's better off that I just hard wire the fuel pump. So, I'm coming to all of you for help as to how I should go about doing this. Thank you very much!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have you measured the voltage at the pump, under load (i.e. pumping gas from the tank) while connected to the existing wiring? If so, was that voltage low (as in not within 1/2 volt of the battery)?

Seems two options are to run separate wiring from the COR to the pump, basically paralleling the factory wiring. Other option would be to add a relay, that is triggered off the COR relay output. Then run a fused wire from the battery, through the new relay to the pump. That way the COR turns on the new relay (only) and than that relay sends current to the fuel pump. Assuming there is too much resistance in the existing wiring to power the pump (guessing maybe 5 amps or so), the new relay coil is only 0.1 amps, so way less current and way less voltage drop.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your fuel pump is turned on by a switch in the air flow meter, jumper your fuel pump check connector and turn on the key, if the fuel pump starts and runs then you have a faulty switch in the AFM and you need to get a replacement.
You said that you checked all of the relays and they are getting good voltage, but is the ground side of the relay coil (s) getting a good ground? If your 88 is like my 86, the fuel pump ground comes back through the harness and connects to the body at the right fender. This would be the ground point beside the fuse/relay block under the hood and it is also where the COR coil completes it's path to ground. Make sure that this ground point is not corroded and all of the grounds that connect here are in good condition.
If you do the checks at the tank that 4Crawler has suggested and you find that you are not getting the proper voltage, there is a connector under the passengers seat where the main body harness connects to the harness that runs back along the frame. I've seen the pins on this connector corrode so check this out as well.
Hope this helps!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a ton for your help guys! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back I've been quite busy. I figured I should let you know that I ended up using 4crawlers advice and headed to O'rileys Autoparts and picked up some red n black wire. I cut the power wire right before the COR and then hooked into it with the red wire. I then cut the ground and used the black wire to ground out with the one of the bolts that holds the computer to the cab. I then ran the black and red wires down underneath the passenger seat and along the frame all the way back to the pump and wouldn't you know it the truck runs like a champ.