General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fusible Link to Fuse Holder?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fusible Link to Fuse Holder?

I have a '73 Toyota Pickup and I am trying to tackle some wiring issues. First and foremost, I want to tackle my fusible link issue. The fusible link to the headlights was melted so I figured instead of rewiring fusible link every time I have a problem, why not install an inline fuse holder and just replace the normal fuses that we all know and love. Anyways, I have three main questions about doing this.

#1 What amperage does my fusible link melt at?

#2 What fuse size (how many amps) should I run to each of the two links that are being replaced? Should they be different? (I think so)

This is what I have gathered:

There are two fusible links, one goes to a white 12 gauge wire and the other goes to a red 14 gauge wire. The 12 gauge wire powers the whole truck minus the headlights. And you guessed it, the 14 gauge wire powers the headlights.

The alternator by definition in my manual puts out about 40 amps.

The fusible link is about a 14 gauge. I read on another site that since it is a metric based vehicle that the link could be 3mm fusible link. Not too sure about that.

No fuse in my truck is greater than 20 amps. I have four 20 amp fuses and three 15 amp fuses that are all connected to the 12 gauge white wire.

#3 Do I only need to send 20 amps down the white 12 gauge wire since no fuse on that line is greater that 20 amps? Or do I need to send more that 20 amps since it is supplying four 20 amp fuses and three 15 amp fuses? (I'm thinking the latter)

My headlights are supposed to operate with 37.5/50 watts (depending on high or low). I have no clue how many amps I should be sending through to the headlights.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Have you found what caused the fusible link to fail in the first place and fixed the problem.

Does this truck also have a separate fuse for the right and left head light??

If you plan to remove the fusible links the head light one will need to be about 30 amps.

The other will need to be the total of all your loads on that circuit that can be powered up at the same time.

Fuses are a current limiting device the load draws to much current the fuse opens
Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to sniff out the problem now, I haven't found anything yet but I will keep you posted. It very well could have melted when I tried to jump my truck.

The headlights were designed on one fusible link for all four lights. So I'm going to but all four on one fuse.

So 30 amps for the one fuse, then the other one will be about 125 amps? Do they make fuses that big?