General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

full time power outlet???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
full time power outlet???

greetings all!

where is this full time power outlet mod I read about? Is this a mod of the existing dash outlets or the added one Chuck did? Anybody have a writeup on modifying one / both of the dash ones for full time?

Thanks!

bs
Old 07-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Re: full time power outlet???

Originally posted by bsinwa
greetings all!

Is this a mod of the existing dash outlets or the added one Chuck did?
It is for all existing dash outlets. If Chuck wired the new outlet into the exsiting outlet circut, then they would be covered as well. I did this mod. There is just a single wire jumper. I don't know of a write up. I will say this, it seems like a cool mod until your batt runs down because you spaced it out. I removed it within hours of putting it into place.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:49 AM

so, how about adding a switch w/ light to switch from "switched" to "always on"? can you describe what to jumper / where? Does it affect the rear outlets as well?

Thanks,
bs
Old 07-16-2002, 09:57 AM

I did both. I followed this write-up to convert the existing outlets: http://www.cableone.net/marzonie/Full-Time-Power.html It's a very simple jumper in place of the power outlet relay in the fuse box under the hood.

Here's a pic -- it's the lower jumper:

BTW, yes, it does affect the rear outlet.

Another nice thing about this mod is that it can be reversed in about 5 seconds.

I also added a couple of outlets on the driver's kick panel to allow the cable for my GPS to be plugged in without hanging down the front of the dash.

Last edited by ckonarske; 07-16-2002 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Chuck, I dug into the above URL a bit, and the guy has an excellent write-up on some sliderz he had built.

Thanks for the link. I like reading up on technical stuff like this.
Corey
Old 07-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

There is an easier method to that. Easy enough that the Joe Smuck in electricity (like myself can do it). Simply, take out the relay. Using a pocket knife, carefully take the cover off the relay. Inside, it should be fairly simple to see that when electricity flows, the magnet contacts the anvil and closes. Simply, wedge a piece of cardboard paper (two sheets thick) between the back housing and the anvil (to remain closed loop relay).

I did this to a relay and sold it on Ebay already. I have done it since day 1 since I bought my Tundra and no effects of the battery running down yet. If you want, I can do it free for any of you, just pay shipping. PM me for details.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Mohamed
There is an easier method to that. Easy enough that the Joe Smuck in electricity (like myself can do it). Simply, take out the relay. Using a pocket knife, carefully take the cover off the relay. Inside, it should be fairly simple to see that when electricity flows, the magnet contacts the anvil and closes. Simply, wedge a piece of cardboard paper (two sheets thick) between the back housing and the anvil (to remain closed loop relay).

I did this to a relay and sold it on Ebay already. I have done it since day 1 since I bought my Tundra and no effects of the battery running down yet. If you want, I can do it free for any of you, just pay shipping. PM me for details.
That would also work, but why alter and maybe damage a $40 relay when a piece of wire and a couple of terminals will create a cheap, easy, reversible mod? And then you have a spare relay to boot!
Old 07-16-2002, 12:40 PM

MOST EXCELLENT! Thanks Guys !
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by bsinwa
greetings all!

where is this full time power outlet mod I read about? Is this a mod of the existing dash outlets or the added one Chuck did? Anybody have a writeup on modifying one / both of the dash ones for full time?

Thanks!

bs

http://www.bajataco.com/Full-Time-Power.html should do the trick

Aaron
Old 07-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Los

I just did this to my 98 Runner, but this only affected the rear power outlet, not the one that is next to the ash tray. (pre 99's only had one outlet in the dash, not 3). Anyone know how I can change this for the front one too? I mainly wanted to do this so i could let my phone charge when my car is off....
TIA.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Los
I just did this to my 98 Runner, but this only affected the rear power outlet, not the one that is next to the ash tray. (pre 99's only had one outlet in the dash, not 3). Anyone know how I can change this for the front one too? I mainly wanted to do this so i could let my phone charge when my car is off....
TIA.

Well I see what your saying! On the non pre99's we get an extra 2 outlets as you probably know. I would say just make it a full time power outlet by either finding another way around it or just straight up rewire it.

Aaron
Old 07-05-2006, 03:13 PM

i did this instead: retaining accessory pwr until door open.

instead of retaining radio, use it for power outlet.

courtesy of www.the12volt.com
Old 07-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Los

The only accessory power mine retains till door open is the power windows. I wouldnt know how to rewire it to make the outlet full time... anyone have links?

I did look at the fuse box... the ones on the 99+ are different...
The mod sorta worked, but I just wanted to see if any one else that had a 98 or older tried this and found another solution...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just find the correct relay for your front outlet, and do the same to it as you did for the rear.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Los

The one i ran is the only one on the fuse block that says power outlet...
Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM

Someone with the 98 wiring diagrams should chime in sooner or later. Here's another bump for you anyways...
Old 07-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Los

Bump... anyone know? I dont feel like charging my phone in the trunk all the time
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Full time power outlet

Los,
I installed a full time power outlet in the center console of my 95. I located the outlet in what was the rear passenger seating ash tray. I am doing a write up for submission to Tech. I did take some pics of the install and would be glad to send the infor and pics if you wish and describe anything else I did during the installation. Just been too busy to submit the finished write up. Had a few issues with the camera so a few pics were not as clear as I would have liked.
I used the rear mounted outlet from a wrecked 98 runner along with some plastic from the interior, matched mine. There is just enough space under that console to put the outlet there. I wired it under the center console an out throught the firewall to my first mod, an Aux fuse panel. I would recommend this mode (fuse panel) to everyone! There will be instances in the future I'm sure where you will need one and it makes other mods very easy to provide power to. Mine is mounted to the drivers/engine side of the firewall.
The new full time power outlet works prefect and it has the flip cover so it really looks like it belongs there and it has power when its needed. It will get a full blown test this weekend when I drive dwon to San Diego with my tow sons. That was the reason I installed it so he could plug in his inverter to use his laptop on the trip

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 07-12-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Los
TIA.
Are you talking about the outlet that typically has a cigarette lighter in it? If so, your owners manual should specify which fuse supplies that. On the 99+ 4Runners, the cig lighter outlet is not powered by the same supply as the 2 power outlets at the front and the rear power outlet.

The cig lighter circuit has no relay... it's power goes straight through the ignition switch contacts, so that it has power with the ignition in "ACC" or "RUN" positions. There is a 15 amp fuse downstream of the ignition switch that powers both the cig lighter and the clock, but like I said... no relay, so you will have to rewire it in order to have full time power.

The easiest way to do this (although I'm not endorsing this method, because it's not the cleanest way of doing it) is to remove the "ACC" fuse from the fuse block (ensure that it indeed powers your cig lighter). Run a full time 12V supply wire directly from your battery positive post (put a 15 amp inline fuse on that line) directly to your fuse box. Put a small male spade connector on the end of the wire, and plug it into one of the sides of the socket the fuse was plugged into (must be the side of the fuse that goes to the cig lighter... not the side that goes back to the battery.) This method is easily reversible if you change your mind, but your clock (if your 98 has one) will also be powered all the time (which you may not want.)

The best way to do it, is to run the same fused wire from the battery into the cab of the truck, cut the correct wire between the "ACC" fuse and the cig lighter, and connect your new 12V "always hot" supply wire to it instead. Be careful which wire you cut, though, depending on if you want your clock to always be on or not (I would say not...) If you decide to go this way, let me know and I can send you the wiring diagram for that circuit for my 2002, and you can see if it's the same for yours.

As a first step, locate the "ACC" fuse, pull it, and see if you lose power to your cigarette lighter and clock (if you have a clock at the top of your dash) even when your key is on.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 07-12-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Los

THanks for the info... Im taking the 4runner wheelin and camping this weekend so I wont have much time to look into this but I will get back to you soon. That sucks that I'll have to rewire it... I think Im just going to add a full time outlet like is shown in the interior upgrades forum...
But Ill let you know. Thanks again!