General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Dome Light/Door Sensors Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dome Light/Door Sensors Don't Work

I'm hoping someone can help me. I did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 1990 4x4 Pickup and the dome light doesn't work. I replaced the 12V5W bulb, but that didn't work, so then I replaced the 15A fuse, but that didn't work either. I unscrewed the rear view mirror assembly and checked the switch, and everything works fine. The connector plugs in just fine. I don't have a voltmeter so I wasn't able to check the voltage.

Then I realized that I don't have any buzzing indicator when the doors are ajar, even though I have sensors in the door frames. Another thread seemed to indicate that the buzzer and the dome light are wired together: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...r-open-152050/

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do to investigate further? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres a black buzzer box under the dash on the driver side right next to the steering column above the gas pedal. check that, ill bet you its unplugged.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Or your pin switches on the door frames are shot. They tend to do that after years of exposure to crap.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how is it that mines older, the doors sat out in the dirt/mud for years, and the pin switches still work? lol. (my original doors were destroyed when i rolled)
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the responses. I looked under my dash near the gas pedal and practically everywhere, but could find anything that looked like a black box. When my camera is charged I will post pictures of what it looked like. I unscrewed the door sensors and they seem to be in good shape -- no corrosion or rust.

Could you post a picture of what I'm supposed to be looking for? If not I understand, I'm just not quite sure what I should be seeing. If I don't have the buzzer (let's say the previous owner removed it), and the door sensors are fine, what would be the next thing I should check?

Thanks again for your time.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they work and then not work or never work at all? If it is the latter then the PO may have disconnected the buzzer and door switches.
The black buzzer box on my 94 is located in the centre stack behind the catch-all tray under the lighter. I'll take a pic in the am and post a pic for you.

Most likely it is the pin switch[es] in the doors that are shot or they may be stuck in the off position which can happen if you get a build up of grease and gunk on the switch in the case the switch hangs in the door closed position if this is the case just pull the pin out with whatever and everything should be ok just hit it with some contact cleaner and cycle it a few times till it moves freely. the spring in the switch might be broken also in this case replacement is your best option.

WA gets a lot more damp then CA Ozzie and the switches corrode pretty easily though a spray of contact cleaner can sometimes bring them back.

Last edited by aviator; 10-07-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM

I just purchased the truck a few weeks ago, and they haven't worked since I got it. I'm going to lean towards the last owner disconnecting the switches and buzzer. I dug around there and wasn't able to get a clear picture taken, but looks like some wires had been rearranged and/or clipped. Perhaps I'll have to take the entire dash apart and figure out which one controls it.

If you could post a picture tomorrow, I would really appreciate it. It's quite annoying not having a dome light.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my 4Runner, I have to flip the switch to "DOOR" and wiggle it to the far side a little, then it works.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM

Ok, I still haven't gotten this problem fixed. I can't find anything that looks like a black box. Can anyone please post a picture of what this is supposed to look like? I'm going to start digging around under the dash and see if I can take any clear pictures. Heck, maybe I'll just take the whole dash off. I'm sick of having no dome light!!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Well, I got a little bit insane about this issue today so I tore apart my entire dash. I managed to learn a lot in the process, so I don't regret it. The good news is that I got my dome light and door sensors working!

A picture of the teardown in process:
Name:  IMG_1911.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  109.4 KB

I couldn't find a buzzer box, so I'm sure the PO removed it. However, I was able to see where the door sensors were cut, and most importantly, where the dome light sensor was completely disconnected! I could have fixed the dome light very easily, but it wasn't until I tore everything down that I was able to figure out where I should look. The offending plug that was disconnected is shown in this picture, under the driver side kick panel next to the fuse box (black and black/white plug top left).

Name:  IMG_1915.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  60.4 KB

Thanks for your help, glad I could figure this out out by myself and learn more about my truck.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
glad you found your problem...now get rid of those red scotch locks!!!

Those things are assuring that your connection will come loose one day....and soon. THose are OK for troubleshooting but not a permanent connection!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar issue. In my '94 Celica GT I have to replace the mast on the power antenna. Everything was working fine until I mounted the antenna back onto the car. Then all of a sudden my dome light, blinkers, and door sensors would no longer work. Any ideas?