YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
CAM 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 369
Unhappy ~HELP!!~ Dash and parking lights lite up when the brakes are on!?

Hi guys,

Any idea what would cause the dash and Parking lights to lite up when the brakes are on? This just started tonight. I was getting out of my truck, turned the lights off and still had my foot on the brake. Thats when i noticed the dash and parking lighs were dimmly lite. They come on and go off when the brake is applyed. The truck is an '01 prerunner TRD with 79,xxx miles. The electrical system is unmolested except for two hella 500's and the DRL mod. I did the DRL mod over a year ago, with no ill effects. (untill now maybe?)


Craig.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
__________________
2001 Tacoma prerunner Dlb cab TRD Limited
Stuff: Manik brush guard,100 Watt Hella 500's, Extended diff breather, 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO A/T's.
98% of all Ford Trucks are still on the road......The other 2% made it home.

Last edited by CAM 1; 02-25-2006 at 02:49 PM.
CAM 1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
CAM 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 369
Unhappy

ttt, I'm stumped! And it's getting worse! Now the turn signal lights (dash and outside) stay on when i use them. I gave the truck a good once over to try and find the problem. I came up with nothing. Any thoughts?



Craig.
__________________
2001 Tacoma prerunner Dlb cab TRD Limited
Stuff: Manik brush guard,100 Watt Hella 500's, Extended diff breather, 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO A/T's.
98% of all Ford Trucks are still on the road......The other 2% made it home.
CAM 1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
CAM 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 369
Bump.
__________________
2001 Tacoma prerunner Dlb cab TRD Limited
Stuff: Manik brush guard,100 Watt Hella 500's, Extended diff breather, 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO A/T's.
98% of all Ford Trucks are still on the road......The other 2% made it home.
CAM 1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
CAM 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 369
H-E-L-P
__________________
2001 Tacoma prerunner Dlb cab TRD Limited
Stuff: Manik brush guard,100 Watt Hella 500's, Extended diff breather, 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO A/T's.
98% of all Ford Trucks are still on the road......The other 2% made it home.
CAM 1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
marko3xl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,725
Send a message via AIM to marko3xl3
This is a hard one dude, it could be many things. If I were you, i'd check out all the wires you modified (including relays, etc.) and fuses as well. Maybe some are bad and need replacement causing the problem. If that's not it, maybe some wire insulation rubbed against each other too much causing a short somewhere. As a last resort you could undo the elec. mods and see if that helps.

Honestly tho, without breaking out the goshzillions of wiring diagrams for the truck, there is not much anyone can help you with, just keep looking. If you get desperate, have an audio shop look at it.
__________________
:Marko:
Supercharged 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L
4" Deckplate :: TrueFlow Air Intake System :: Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/ Resonator
XM Satellite Radio (Roady 2)
:: Autometer Boost Gauge :: Color Keyed Spoiler


TOYOTA|moving forward
marko3xl3 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
CAM 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko3xl3
This is a hard one dude, it could be many things. If I were you, i'd check out all the wires you modified (including relays, etc.) and fuses as well. Maybe some are bad and need replacement causing the problem. If that's not it, maybe some wire insulation rubbed against each other too much causing a short somewhere. As a last resort you could undo the elec. mods and see if that helps.

Honestly tho, without breaking out the goshzillions of wiring diagrams for the truck, there is not much anyone can help you with, just keep looking. If you get desperate, have an audio shop look at it.

Thanks for the reply Marko, yeah it's a tuff one for sure. I did in fact check any and all wires involved in the hella 500's install and the DRL mod. There was no chafing (sp?) or any wire being grounded. I am so frustated at this point. To make things even better, it's only going to be a high of 25 deg tomorow! Should be fun.
__________________
2001 Tacoma prerunner Dlb cab TRD Limited
Stuff: Manik brush guard,100 Watt Hella 500's, Extended diff breather, 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO A/T's.
98% of all Ford Trucks are still on the road......The other 2% made it home.
CAM 1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
CAM 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 369
Talking

Fixed the problem! The factory trailor hitch wiring harness had a wire that was getting grounded. I put on some heat shrink then taped it up. Good as new!





Craig.
__________________
2001 Tacoma prerunner Dlb cab TRD Limited
Stuff: Manik brush guard,100 Watt Hella 500's, Extended diff breather, 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO A/T's.
98% of all Ford Trucks are still on the road......The other 2% made it home.
CAM 1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
brake, brakes, cruiser, dash, dashboard, foot, ford, hit, land, lights, marker, parking, pressed, stay, step, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dash lights up when brakes are applied ORB 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 13 07-15-2006 07:38 AM
Fog lights w/parking lights on? ellis0127 99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 1 03-04-2006 05:42 PM
When I step on my brakes, my dash lights come on!! Yamaha+Toyota=Fun 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 7 03-30-2005 02:43 PM
dash lights, marker lights and taillights dont work nbrooks 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 2 03-24-2005 02:25 PM
Wiring Question - Fog Lights and Parking Lights zach34 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 12 08-26-2004 10:48 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:27 PM.


2010 InternetBrands, Inc.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2