YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

blowing 80 amp altenator fuse!! help!

hey guys sorry if this has been posted already! but im having issues with my 1993 toyota pickup ext cab 4x4 5speed with a 91 22re in it, i recently changed my altenator with a spare one i had, it tested fine at my local parts store, but now its blowing my 80 amp altenator fuse! as soon as i changed it and its wire correctly, any ideas,?? im thinking the ground that is attached to the powersteering pump bracket is the culpret if anyone can give me ideas on what it could be or what the ground wire is actually for ex, what circuit it grounds thanks in advance guys!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Any help at all guys?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Staff

I have had them to test good at a parts store and still be bad. i would suggest putting the old one back on and see if it still blows the fuse. In my experience, the old one may not be putting out enough juice, but you could still use it to tell you if your replacement is bad.

You could always use another truck to jump start the orginal to keep it going if it completel dead. Recheck your wiring and make sure there are no shorts and the harness to the alternator.

If it is the factory alternator, there is some threads on here about rebuilding it.

My 86 4Runner Rebuild
http://www.yotatech.com/f199/terrys8...chance-247386/

My 85 Extra Cab Build
http://www.yotatech.com/f198/85-extr...rusher-263813/

Tools,Tips, and Tricks
http://www.yotatech.com/f122/tools-tips-tricks-278208/
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

To blow that 80 amp fuse takes a major short. When is it blowing the fuse? As soon as it is connected or once you start the vehicle? Before you start spending hard earned money on alternators, You need to rule out a short in your wiring. Also there is an isolator on the stud where the positive wire from your battery connects to the alternator. This isolator keeps the stud from coming in contact with the case and shorting out. It's possible that it is not completely intact and engine movement might be causing the stud to also move and short out. Look for any burn marks in that area.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 10-12-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1993, 80, 80a, 80amp, 93, alt, alternator, amp, fto, fuse, fuses, pick, pickup, replace, replacement, sale, toyota, yotatech