General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auxilary plug shorts out phone charger which blow acc. fuse help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auxilary plug shorts out phone charger which blow acc. fuse help

This is my first post so hear is a little background on my truck. It is an 04 prerunner. This year I was traveling the country and left my truck at my parents the took good care of it driving it now and then to keep everything going. When I got back and plugged my phone charger in one of the auxilary outlets the charger wouldn't work. I tried it in the other and it didnt work either so then I tried it in the cig lighter and it blew the accessory fuse. I stopped and got a fuse. While I was in the store my friend tried the charger in her car and it blew her fuse. So then we thought it must be the charger. I went to Alltel and they gave me a new one free. Great NOT QUITE. plugged the charger into the cig lighter and it worked and it has been in there since. This morning i was going to move it to the auxilary plug and it again didnt work so i plug it back into the cig lighter and it again blows the fuse. Obviously my auxilary outlet it shorting out my charger.

I had a sirius hooked up and it has been unplugged from the sirius for about 9months but it still installed in the dash. dont know if that has any bearing. So what do i do? How do I get the auxilary plugs working. are they on the same fuse as the accessory fuse. The radio, clock and cig lighter go out when that blows.

I have done minimal work installing car stereo so please be patient with my questions.

tia
Old 09-28-2006, 09:22 AM

did u put the right size fuse back in?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:50 AM

yeah i put the right fuse in because my radio and cig lighter work and I replaced the fuse inmy phone charger and i can now plug it into the cig lighter but if i plug it into the aux. outlets it blows the charger even thought the cig lighter works