General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator problems please help me out

Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator problems please help me out

well okay for starters. Our truck broke down... we burned the alternator plug the female one connected to the wiring harness from our 1989 toyota hilux. its not a 4x4 and its 22re and efi. we bought another truck but its a younger model a 1991 or 90 one of the two. and we put that wiring harness into our 1989 truck. the thing is that we cant start the truck using the key ignition but we can turn it off tho. we have to resort on starting the truck with one of the wires connected to the starter to connected. but its making this weird sound. like the truck is trying to break but cant its like a rough vroom vroom in a high peach sound. can someone help us out. this is our only transportation and we been having really bad luck lately in life and cant afford to get another car. and also is it possible to switch the alternator plug because we are thinking of switching back or our original wiring harness but use the younger alternator and the plug but the thing is that. our 1989 plug has four wires and the 90 or 91 has five? will greatly be thankful to who ever think they know the solution.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I under stand your question, you might be able to remove the plug and use spade connectors to temporally get the truck going.That is if you can get the correct wire position from the old plug.The main question is what cased the plug to burn and has the problem been fixed. If the original alt is ok this might get you going untill you can find a replacement alt plug.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM

ok

thanks a lot for the reply to my thread. the plug was actually burned out one wire is so burned that the wire melted off and the wire is exposted all the to the plug so were thinking of just switching the alternator. i just wanted to know will it work even tho one wire wont be connected on the younger one. i believe its the white wire that we dont know where it goes to. so were like cutting pieces of the wiring harness of the younger model to see where it go. ill post a pic up later on how bad the plug burn and the younger model plug to show u guys the difference.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 AM

Any number of things (mostly bad grounds or corroded connections) can cause currents to go abnormaly high and burn wires. You don't need a connector, simply bypass it with new wires properly connected with wire clamps and use your existing alternator. Monitor the situation to ascertain if their are further problems with voltage regulator or ground situations. Perhaps this will get you by 'til the sun shines again.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 AM

thank you everyone

thanks guys for all your advice. we just put our old harness in and just kept the plug and grounded all the wires that needed to be grounded and after some studing and looking closely where what wire goes where we figure out where to connect the wire for the plug goes where. but the thing is now the truck wont turn over. it starts up so our starter is good but just trying to figure out how come it wont turn over. i know i could be number of things so were just trying to take it one day at a time. so any advice on what could be the reason why the truck wont turn over would be awesome.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Not understanding. Turn overis what happens when you turn the key -are you saying the engine won't fire and run?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 AM

it can start but wont run thats what i mean sorry... the other night when we tried the muffler back fired.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM

When you were working on the alt, did you knock any of the plug wires off the dist cap ?
It sounds like a couple of plug wires might be crossed .
Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 AM

nope i made sure myself that no wires were cross. we tried today again and the truck started and all its just making these rough idle sounds and we asked a couple of uncles for help and they said it might be our air intake box." i dont know whats it called i forgot" tomorrow were going to try and switch our intake box back to our originally one cause the one we got was the younger model. i hope this work. lol im sorry for pressing you guys on but thank you all for your awesome advice. if i can upload a short video of how it sounds i would but im not too sure how its done.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 PM

The members on here are good about helping people ,but it is a little hard to understand what you are asking at times. Don't give up you will get it figured out .
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM

So you changed out the air box for the one that came from the newer truck? I can't recall if the sensor is different between the years or not, but I would switch back to the one that came on the truck.

Like swampfox said, don't worry, we will help out the best we can to get you going again!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM

we tried butting the air intake back in and that didnt work. were kind of running out of options.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Try looking on autozone .com for the free auto repair manuals,there are also links on YT for factory service manuals.If you study the manuals it will help you identify the parts and what they do.This will also help you to describe the part that you are referring to when asking a question .Are you saying in your last post that you reinstalled the air intake to the original air box ? A 22re will not start with out the air intake and air box connected. At least it never worked for me.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 AM

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/87-4Runne...4runner_88.pdf
Here you go, this is for an 88 truck and 4runner..it will help a lot to save it and keep it handy just in case.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 AM

thank you all for your advice.. the truck is working now.. well sort off it making a rough idle and it jerking while we drive... when we put it to neutral it stops jerking. im wondering what would cause a truck to jerk like that.