General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4Runner Power window master switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner Power window master switch problem

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've seen a few similar problems on here, but not quite the same so I am posting in hope that someone will have an idea how to fix this.
I have a 92 4x4 SR5 4runner with a standard trans and six cyl engine.

The window master switch on the driver door has stopped working for any of the windows. The mirror switch and lock switch still work fine.

The passenger side and back seat window switches still work fine as do the sun roof and back window. If I raise or lower the passenger window with the passenger side switch, I can move the master switch the opposite way and stop the window. It then continues when I release the master switch. I don't know if that works with the back seat windows also. It would require some joints my arm doesn't have.

Following diagnosis I found on the the internet, it seemed my master switch was bad, so I replaced it, but the situation is still the same.

The plug for the the master switch shows power at two wires, one red with a white tracer and one red with a yellow tracer.

My research has now taken me to the No. 1 junction block behind the kick panel on the driver's side. According to the diagram I found on the auto zone website, I should have a circuit breaker there.

For some reason I have a 30 amp fuse rather than a circuit breaker. I was hopeful that it was just a blown fuse, but the fuse tests at less than an ohm so it seems to be good.

I am now off to try my switch in my mom's 4Runner to see if by some bad luck I got a new switch that is bad.

If my switch checks out OK, I am at a loss what to try next. I'm hoping someone here might have a bright idea.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Have the windows ever worked like they should ??

Master Switch get soaked with rain ??

Broken wires where it goes into the cab from the door

The voltage for the windows comes from the Door Control relay the wire going to the switch Blue/ Red White/Black is the ground

It is in your left kick panel

you have checked that all window motors are working ??

you did check that the switch you installed did work ??

The blue /red wire is the voltage wire for all the windows

It is really a good idea to have the battery charger on the battery when trouble shooting electric motors Sometimes old age and line loss add up to enough loss the windows don`t work
Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM

Hi wyoming9, Thanks for your reply.
Yes, all the windows worked until the mast switch took a powder. The passenger window and the back seat windows still work fine with their switches.
No, the switch has not been wet. I tried both the old switch and the new one in my mom's 4runner. Both switches work fine.
Broken wire a possibility. The accordion conduit between the body and the door is undamaged however. Will have to take the panel off the door and take a look inside.
Ground has continuity, the Blue/Red wire you described, #9 pin in the harness plug if the diagram I found is accurate, is not hot, so that seems to be the path to the problem. When I tested the switches in my mom's 4runner, pins 3, 4, and 9 had power. In mine only 3 and 4 have power. I will include a sketch of the plug diagram for clarity.
Tomorrow I will open up the door and check for broken wire. If wire is OK, on to the relay I guess. Have you done that relay? From the information I have found, it seems to be up inside the dash. Sounds like loads of fun.
Again, thanks for your input. I will post what I discover.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You and Mom must have the same year 4 Runner
Old 08-31-2016, 04:32 AM

No, her's is 95, but the changes are pretty minor up to there. 96 and on is a whole new ball game though.