YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

1985 22r Carburetor electric choke

Hello, I dont know if anyone can give me any insight on a carburetor issue, however, I'll explain my situation. I rebuilt the carb on my 1985 Toyota RV. Throughly soaked the carb, replaced all the gaskets etc, re-installed and runs excellent. Problem is...the electric choke dosent want to engage,,I'm getting current to the plug...I'm not real familair with these carbs and I would like it to function the way its supposed to. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Dave.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #2

If I remember correctly (my 1977 Toyota 20R had one) There is a temp. switch that sends power to it. Maybe the switch reduces the current to engage the choke?
HAVOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

OK, thats possible,,,as a matter of fact I notice that a large percentage of time the temp guage on the dash reads running temperature, even when its cold...I tried to determine the location of the sending unit....or perhaps switch....but I wasnt succesful...mainly because I didnt really research it to any real length...maybe there is a correlation..I'll check into it...Thanks, Dave.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to stock87 Send a message via AIM to stock87
First of all, did you take the choke off when you rebuilt it? Most of the time it's riveted on, and doesn't need any tweaking. Contrary to what most people say about adjusting it, it's really supposed to only go on one way.

Assuming you didn't take it off, you might want to make sure the pins are seated firmly in the connector.

Lastly, there are three temperature senders (maybe only two) on the truck. The sender for the gauge is under and in front of the thermostat housing and pointing at the passenger fender. All it does is send a signal to the gauge. There will be one or two others, on top of and sort of behind the thermostat housing, usually green. They're the ones that send the signal to the 'computer' that controls that sort of thing.

However, I seem to recall the choke heating wire comes off terminal 'L' on the alternator, so that it only gets enough voltage to heat when the truck is actually running, not just keyed on.
stock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #5

This may be of some help:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801893d8.jsp
HAVOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock87 View Post
...However, I seem to recall the choke heating wire comes off terminal 'L' on the alternator, so that it only gets enough voltage to heat when the truck is actually running, not just keyed on.
You recall correctly.

If you removed the choke when rebuilding the carb it's easy to put it back on incorrectly, and/or miss-aligned. Been there.

'84 4Runner SR5 - ARBed 5.29s F&R, 4.7 t-case, drv train lift, Chevys, hi-steer, 30 spl Longs

'80 something Toy P/U, Buick 231 V6, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, Downey headers, custom TH350 L/U w/700R4 low gearset, dual tanks, dual batterys
fourwd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:34 AM   #7
Threadstarter [OP]

Appreciate the responses..In regards to the choke removal...I took the butterfly out and slid the assembly out in that procedure...( removing the 2 small fasteners..straight slotted screws)...therefore I didnt actually remove the choke heater from the butterfly rod....guess I'll have to investigate the sensors..................any other insight would be great,,Thanks, Dave
Old 11-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1985, 22r, carb, carburetor, choke, diagram, elec, electric, electrical, faq, information, problem, replacement, thermostat, toyota