Notices
Maintenance & Repair Care and feeding of your rig

Second Gen 4runner CV Boots

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Gen 4runner CV Boots

Alright, I realize there is already an article up for CV Boots on this gen of 4runner, however I think that with real pictures of what is going on it might help out someone who needs help with that kind of stuff.

***These methods are what I did with my truck, If you use them and break something don't sue me.***

Now, about the project; you'll need a normal array of tools including sockets(with about 18in of extensions), hammer, a pry device of some kind(I used a 2x4), a breaker bar, and some sort of lube to ease taking off the bolts(I used PB Blaster). And a pair of snap-ring pliers.

First off, your going to want to take your tire off, I placed the jackstand on the center frame piece of the IFS, so I could take advantage of the articulation of the rest of the suspension. Once the tire is off your going to take off the ring of six bolts(your going to want to have someone on the brakes for this step...or you could do this step before you took the tire off if assistants are running scarce):

Once those bolts are off there are cone washers in there and to get those out, you just need to hit the hub right above where they are; you'll have to hit it for a little bit if they've been in there for a while, and they will shoot out quite fast. So, I kept one hand in front of them to keep from shooting across the garage while I hit it with the hammer.

Once those are off the gold cap needs to come off, this'll come with a hammer and something to pry the cap away from the hub assembly, and then just hit it until it comes off:

Once that is off you need to take off the hub and then the snap ring and washer. Now for loosening the six bolts from the cv axle to the front diff, this is where I used my breaker bar and extensions...These bolts are on there very tight. After those bolts are loose I disconnected my front shock, sway bar connect, and this didn't allow me enough room so I had to unbolt the lower ball joint. To do this unbolt the one large bolt and four little bolts at the bottom of this whole assembly:

After this I used my 2x4 to pry between my bumpstops and the suspension itself, I got enough suspension movement to clear my cv axle out of the system at this point, be carefull with the geared end of the axle; its quite fragile from what I hear.

This next part is where it starts getting messy, undo all four clamps for the old cv boots and you should be able to pull the side that was bolted to the front diff right off...LOTS OF GREASE WILL COME OUT, BE PREPARED...after this your going to want to mark, both on the triangle axle and the actual axle where they are in relation to each other so they can go back on in the same fashion.

Now, take the snap ring off the end of the axle, slide the triangle axle off and take off the old boots off, clean off some grease and put the new ones on and put in the grease that came with them(I got mine from advance auto and they came with packets of grease). Put the triangle axle back on and then put the last piece back on, now your axle should look like it did when you took it off...only with new boots.

Install is the exact opposite of removal, new cv boots...YAY!!!

Bolt everything back up and you are done!!!