Maintenance & Repair Care and feeding of your rig

Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter Kit Installation - '03 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter Kit Installation - '03 Tacoma

Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter Kit Installation - 2003 Tacoma
By TBob

TBob shows you how he installed an oil filter bypass kit on his 2003 Tacoma.

Tools And Parts Required:
Filters I used with the kit –
Full flow filter – SDF-15
By-Pass filter – BE-90

If you don't get Hydraulic lines made by a local shop you'll need to buy 2 90 deg angle fittings (BP-52). If you opt for hydraulic lines are made by a local shop (highly recommended) read below for details:

I opted for some nice hydraulic line made up from my local NAPA dealer.
I had both made 36” long with a 90 deg fitting at one end and a straight at the other.

If I would to do it again I would have made one 1” longer, I think that would make for a little cleaner route.

Another thing that helps, ask the guy making up the lines to make the 90 deg fitting 90 degrees from the natural bend of the line. This will help when hooking up to the lines to the Spin-on filter adapter.

Where to mount it:

Due to a lack of usable space under the hood I decided to install the unit to the frame. The location is just behind the drivers front wheel on the inside of the frame rail.
I had to remove 2 lines attached to a gray holder and bend them up so that they were above the frame. I then removed the gray holder. Two things became apparent right away:

One, I wasn't going to be able to fit a drill under there to drill holes where I wanted and two, even if I could, the frame being boxed would make it impossible to nut unless I drilled completely through the frame. This would look ugly having nuts visible on the outside of the frame.

So I then decided welding the mount on would be the best option. Assembled the Dual remote mount assembly with restriction valve (BK-209) to the brackets (BP-194&5) and screwed on the big bypass filter (BE-90).

When locating the brackets on the frame you want to mount it as high as possible without the nuts/bolts rubbing any of the lines above. Check to make sure that the bypass filter is just clear of the front sway bar mount. Clamp in place and tack the mount. Then removed the filter and the Dual remote mount assembly (BK-209) and fully welded the bracket. Don't forget to paint.

Mounting the Spin-on filter adapter (BP-159)
I first removed the skid plate to make things easy to access. From the kit use the white adapter (BP-163) for the Spin-on filter adapter (BP-159). When screwing on the Spin-on filter adapter (BP-159) have the fittings line up vertically it doesn't matter if the red is top on bottom, it only matters how you hook up the lines. I ended up with the red fitting on the top. I used a 13/16 socket on one of the fittings to make tightening the adapter easy.

Running the lines:

Run the lines going from the Dual remote mount assembly towards the front of the truck, along the side the frame under the motor mount, pass the Spin-on oil filter mount and then bend them back in an upward direction 180 deg to make the connection to the Spin-on filter adapter. (90 deg fittings will attach at the spin-on filter adapter)

Make sure you have things held at the correct angles and the fittings should finger tighten till almost completely on. Wiggling the lines will help make this happen. If you don't you could end up with a bad angle on the line once tight and it will leak (trust me on that ;^)

Hooking it up:
I attached the top connection to the Spin-on filter adapter first then the bottom. Be sure you keep track of your red outlet and what line it is attached to.

That line connects to the inlet of the Dual remote mount assembly, for me it was the fitting closest to the frame. Then make the connections on the Dual remote mount assembly attaching the one closest to the frame first.
The reason I specify which ones to attach first is because it makes it easier to access while tightening with the wrench (open end 7/8th).

Once all the line connections are tight I filled each filter with oil allowing them time to soak –in before screwing them on. I did not drain my oil from the motor before doing this install (I was already full with Amsoil) so I added 1 quart to the engine before I fired it up.

Once you have no leak problems go back under and zip-tie the lines away from any potential rub areas. Make sure to tie it away from the steering shaft enough for all the nuts on the shaft to clear the line when turning. Good luck and I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions feel free to email me at tbobktm@yahoo.com.