Electrical Electrical and wiring

Warn Power Interrupt Kit - 2nd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By Corey

I picked up a Warn Power Interrupt kit from Central 4WD shortly after I got my winch in February of 2002. The kit offers many ways to control functions under your hood. It can be used to cut power to a set of built in jumper cables like a lot of police departments use including Boeing. I use it to cut the power that goes from the 2 gauge power wire from the battery to my winch.

Since my winches solenoid box is mounted on my bumper, a malicious person could come by and take a paper clip and insert it into the terminals and activate my winch without my presence. Can you imagine the destruction if said person took your winch line and took it back up over your roof and hooked it to your rear bumper? They could crush your roof of your rig like a sardine can. With the addition of the kit, I now have a switch inside the cockpit that must be turned on to energize the Warn relay part which in turn then supplies the power to the 2 gauge cable going to the winches solenoid. I did not however use the supplied switch as it was not a flat mounting type. I had a Hella switch that had came with me Hella 500 lamps, and I drilled a hole in the plastic that is in front of the console and flush mounted it there. To now use the winch all I have to do is first make sure the switch is turned on first.

Here is a picture from Warn showing the parts to the kit.

The kit merely consists of the solenoid/relay, a section of 2 gauge wire that goes from it to your battery, a switch, and the necessary wiring that goes from the switch to the solenoid/relay. All electrical parts on the solenoid are covered with thick rubber boots to prevent shorting on anything under the hood.

Below are some pictures of the setup.

Here is a neat picture that I scanned in that came with my winch. It shows basic winching techniques.

I also included here a real neat PDF file from Warn that explains the operation of the Warn winch and basic operation of it. Also included here is a winch safety video from Ramsey's winch site. Watch this video, it could save your life. It is 11.6 MB, so you might want to right click the above link and save it, then watch it.

If you have any further questions, please contact Corey

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-02-2006 at 02:27 PM.