Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Remote Start

When i bought this 4runner there was a switch in there for the alarm, and i just never thought the alarm worked. So today i popped the hood and found a wire and attached it to the battery, hit the button on my keychain expecting my doors to lock or something, and bam my car starts instead. Im pretty excited but i hope to get the alarm working too.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice find! I'm spending this weekend reinstalling my DEI remote start. The brain died and they replaced it with a new one for free!! FYI, it has been installed for at least 4 years.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

I installed a remote starter on my 4Runner a couple of months ago. I don't know how I got by without it. It sure is nice to get into a warm vehicle in the morning and not have to scrape the windows.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:04 PM

remote starts are awsome just stay away from the cheap ones seen alot of problems with cheap ones
Old 02-25-2004, 05:16 PM

whats a good alarm system that has remote start. im looking for a system that has the little lcd screen on the remote.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:26 PM

the only problem i have had with it is it doesnt seem to work unless im like 5 feet away and pointing inside my car. Is there a sensor or something i can relocate so it will pickit up better, because whats the point of remote start if you cant start it untill five feet away.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look under the dash. There will be some sort of antenna attached to the brain of the alarm. I've had good luck running this antenna up the A-pillar up into the head liner. I've also rna them to the center of the windshield and attached it to the windshield. Sounds like it is probably coiled up in a small bundle under the dash.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:13 PM

what brand alarm systems do you guys have. i was looking at Viper , is that coo? thanks
jason
Old 02-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.4v6
what brand alarm systems do you guys have. i was looking at Viper , is that coo? thanks
jason

I love my Viper 550 ESP alarm and remote start.
It is a must have up here where it gets to -40 on a bad morning.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3.4v6
whats a good alarm system that has remote start. im looking for a system that has the little lcd screen on the remote.
I installed this a couple of months ago and love it:

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1185

It went in very easily, works great from hundreds of feet away, and has been an awesome addition to the truck. I also bought the add-on temperature sensor which lets me see the temp inside the truck on the LCD.

There are a lot of options in this alarm, things like "auto start when the temp falls below ___", how and when you want the alarm triggered, length of run time for the warm-up, etc. There's cool built-in timer on the LCD which you can use for parking meters. And, there are also 4 separate accessory outputs that you can use to remotely control anything you want - windows, sunroof, dome lights, TV, popcorn maker...

Wiring is a breeze. I used a diagram that I got from a forum member, but once you purchase from Commando, you'll get access to their vast library of wiring diagrams for _ALL_ vehicles. I've installed two of these now, and the diagrams are correct and complete.

HIGHLY recommended.

The guy handling the orders is "Ryan"... Tell him I said HI!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall

The guy handling the orders is "Ryan"... Tell him I said HI!
OK, that's a bit on the scary side Mark!
Just bustin' your chops man!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-26-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
OK, that's a bit on the scary side Mark!
Yeah, I 'magine it sounds that way!

He and I flipped a lot of emails before I bought this one. Some folks may remember that I first bought an UltraStart 4500 and when it showed up, I immediately set about to return it. It was junk. And fwiw, I'm _still_ waiting on a refund, it's been almost 2 months.

Anyway... I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice, so I started shooting emails to Commando. "Ryan" is kindofa do-it-all there in that he's an installer, fields questions, and verifies all the orders that come through.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by fooddude
When i bought this 4runner there was a switch in there for the alarm, and i just never thought the alarm worked. So today i popped the hood and found a wire and attached it to the battery, hit the button on my keychain expecting my doors to lock or something, and bam my car starts instead. Im pretty excited but i hope to get the alarm working too.
Thats what you call "finding an easter egg". I love finding them after getting a new vehicle. The ones I don't like are the unpleasant surprises....(rotten eggs)!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 AM

I had a remote start installed that I bought off ebay thorugh asianwolf.com. It does everything any other alarm/remote start can can, and i can start my 4runner about 200 ft away from inside my school (looking out the window towards it) It came with a 5 button lcd remote which doubles as a pager. plus I saved about $100 by not just buying it from the shop I had it installed from
Old 02-26-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RufusRunner
I had a remote start installed that I bought off ebay thorugh asianwolf.com. It does everything any other alarm/remote start can can, and i can start my 4runner about 200 ft away from inside my school (looking out the window towards it) It came with a 5 button lcd remote which doubles as a pager. plus I saved about $100 by not just buying it from the shop I had it installed from
RufusRunner
you wouldnt happen to know the name and the model # would you?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Look under the dash. There will be some sort of antenna attached to the brain of the alarm. I've had good luck running this antenna up the A-pillar up into the head liner. I've also rna them to the center of the windshield and attached it to the windshield. Sounds like it is probably coiled up in a small bundle under the dash.
That's a good tidbit to know
Thanks Cebby!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:23 PM

the info about it says its venom 5005. the ebay item # was 3054365987, it came w/ a keypad and stuff, pretty slick. I have the auction bookmarked, but I dont know how to attach hyperlinks. if you type in that number at ebay, it'll show you all about it
Old 02-26-2004, 01:25 PM

anyway it worked out really well, because i was having trouble w/ my auto door lock on the driver side, and now i can just lock the door w/ the remote.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RufusRunner
the info about it says its venom 5005. the ebay item # was 3054365987, it came w/ a keypad and stuff, pretty slick. I have the auction bookmarked, but I dont know how to attach hyperlinks.
When you're viewing the item at eBay, go up to the "address line" of the browser, "highlight" it by left-clicking and dragging the mouse across it, then "copy" it by pressing CTRL-C (or click on "Edit" then "Copy" in the browser's menu), then come to the forum, start a reply, and press CTRL-V (or click on "Edit" then "Paste"). The result will be the "URL" in the message, and the forum software will take care of making it clickable.

Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3054365987

Last edited by midiwall; 02-26-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:32 PM

good to know. thanks midiwall

Quick Reply: Remote Start