Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Power Lock Antitheft

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Lock Antitheft

OK, so I am thinking about getting a PowerLock system (http://www.powerlock.com/). Seems like good device, but paucity of reviews...(and solidly white trash advertising)

Has anyone had one installed? What's your experience been?

Thanks!

PS Don't leave the "nothing can prevent your rig from getting stolen" comments...I know already!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not just install a fuel pump cutoff switch in a hidden location?

If you are worried about a hotwire theft... that would prevent it... and be simpler, cheaper.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a bad idea of course but aside from being tired of wiring stuff in my truck, I would get no insurance discount, which here in NE is no small consideration. Plus using the switch each time is a bit of a pain. Tho I'll check it out, so Thanks ... any special link you think is best?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Squiddy
... any special link you think is best?
Link... as in writeup? I do not know of any off the top of my head. But basically you just have to interrupt the fuel pump circuit with a switch hidden in your cab.

I have a FP switch in mine. It's pretty easy to use... doesn't add that much hassle. I have had issues with alarm systems in vehicles I bought in the past going bad, and not even allowing me to start the car. To me, all the complexity of the PowerLock could lead to trouble down the line, especially if you are exposing the system to a lot of dirt or mud on the trails.

But if the PowerLock gives you some kind of insurance break, that may be worth the additional costs.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Squiddy
Not a bad idea of course but aside from being tired of wiring stuff in my truck, I would get no insurance discount, which here in NE is no small consideration. Plus using the switch each time is a bit of a pain. Tho I'll check it out, so Thanks ... any special link you think is best?
You can wire in a fuel cutoff switch so it automatically cuts the power to the pump every time you turn the vehicle off, that's more convenient than setting it each time, or forgetting it each time as I tended to do. You just put a normally open relay in the circuit, with a hidden momentary contact switch to close it. Then connect the relay output to the coil input to keep it closed as long as it has power. As soon as the power is interupted the relay opens again, and cuts off the pump.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
You can wire in a fuel cutoff switch so it automatically cuts the power to the pump every time you turn the vehicle off, that's more convenient than setting it each time, or forgetting it each time as I tended to do. You just put a normally open relay in the circuit, with a hidden momentary contact switch to close it. Then connect the relay output to the coil input to keep it closed as long as it has power. As soon as the power is interupted the relay opens again, and cuts off the pump.
Sounds like a good and convenient idea.. but if the car was hot wired at the ignition switch, wouldn't your relay also be activated? I wouldn't mind simplifying my system as you did, but would like to make it as difficult for a thief as possible.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota
Sounds like a good and convenient idea.. but if the car was hot wired at the ignition switch, wouldn't your relay also be activated? I wouldn't mind simplifying my system as you did, but would like to make it as difficult for a thief as possible.
No, the relay doesn't get activated until you push the magic switch, which can be hidden or disguised.