Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

convertible alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convertible alarm system

heyy i've been scoping out these forums for a while and just admiring all the cool stuff that people do to their 4runners. I have an 87 4runner and last summer i drove it with the top off no problem but this year i've been pretty hesitant because i dropped a couple of 12 inch subs in the back. i was hoping that someone could help me out with finding a convertible alarm system w/ a power door lock conversion?

I dont really know where to start, i kinda fail at all the alarm lingo.

thx fer anything,
luwer
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM

I am by no means an expert myself but I have installed a few and here is what I have found.......

Viper is the brand I have delt with most which is a division of Directed Electronics and they offer several options you can add to their systems that will help with your situation. Things like: glass sensors, equilibrium or roll sensors, door triggers, etc.

The best thing to do is go to an authorized dealer of the brand you want to buy and ask them about the features for your application. Even if you are not going to buy from them or have them install it they can answer your questions more directly than I can since they are schooled in that particular namebrand. Also, I have been out of it for bout 2 years now so no tellin what they offer now days.

Thomas
Old 08-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get cheaper units on ebay and the internet.

For a topless 4runner, you would want a microwave sensor with adjustable proximity. Dual zone sensing is also nice. From what I understand, they would get a warning before a full blown alarm.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2002 4Runner SR5 and mine did not come with a factory alarm. I didn't think it was a very big deal until my car got broken into.

I ended up buying a Viper 2-Way alarm and I love it! I have some pretty expensive stereo equipment in my car as well so the alarm that I bought definitely gives me peace of mind. There are a lot of different systems with different features (2-Way communication, remote start, etc.) depending on your price range. I would recommend getting a Viper system from Best Buy because professional install is included in the price. If the back of your 4runner is open I would recommend getting a motion sensor that can be adjusted to be triggered when someone gets too close. I decided to get one for my rig because with the basic Viper system it is still possible to break into the car without setting off the alarm. Here is the link for the one that I bought and for the motion sensor. I hope this helps.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1174091579808
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1149040702052

Last edited by 4ever4running; 08-09-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 PM

Cool Viper 5901 Remote Start Alarm

I just bought this alarm for my car bc i really like the remote start function and the protection that it gives me in my 4runner. I have several upgrades in my car including subs, radar, gps, etc so it is a great investment especially if ur gonna have an open area such as the top off the back.

Well all the DEI products are great which ud probably wanna get that include Viper, Python, or Clifford. All the alarms are basically the same and parts and be interchangeable. The best thing to get in ur case would be a 2 way alarm system which notifies u if ur alarm has been triggered that way u have a better chance of catching someone in the act of trying to steal something of urs. These alarms have several types of accessories that can be added on with additional costs but please look them up before getting them bc some accessories such as the audio sensor (glass breakage) work well but if u have window tint it wont go off. I would suggest getting the proximity sensor for sure which gives a warning and after the person doesnt move after 10 sec it sounds the alarm and notifies the owner.

Well I hope i could help clear things up and make ur decision easier for u. I would suggest getting it on amazon if ur gonna install it urself or by a friend. DONT go to Bestbuy bc two family members and a friend of mine went there are they dont install them correctly and ull have to end up going there several times to get issues fixed by them. The install is actually quite easier then most ppl would think it is... well good luck!