Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Best Value Remote Start (manual)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best Value Remote Start (manual)

Done some searching, and found a little... also noticed we (yt) have a deal of sorts with commando... heres my question:

What is the best value (reasonably priced with excellent features/results) for a remote start on a manual vehicle? my understanding the unit needs to be manual tranny capable to work. anyone have one they use and like?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your best bet would be to install the Commando 870 system favored by so many on this board. As far as my knowledge extends, there is no real "manual transmission capable" remote starter, unless it is one that can detect the position of your transmission/shifter. I have not heard of that yet, but it might exist.

As you might imagine, the problem that exists with manual transmissions is that people leave their truck parked in 1st gear, and if they forget that and start the truck...uh oh.

I have heard of at least one person on this board who installed a remote starter on their MT and just made sure it was in neutral when parked and they had no trouble.

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:56 PM

Marko's got the concept right.

Technically, there's nothing stopping you from installing ANY remote start system on a manual tranny vehicle - the system doesn't know the difference when it allows power to the ignition and spins the starter. The issue is one of safety.

To _properly_ install a system, you need to wire the remote system to a neutral interlock switch. Sometimes this will already exist on a vehicle, other times it's an inexpensive add-on that you wire in series with the remote system.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

Not to be negative, but why are so many interested in remote start, its seems like a neat gadget but i think its a novelty that would ware out and not get used much, i'm thinking of getting it myself still, not decided yet, just wondering what the appeal is for you.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

when theres freezing weather outside, i can look outside at my truck, start it, warm it up, halfway defrost the windshield, etc without going outside or wasting time....
Old 12-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the advice guys, so the commando 870 does have the remote start feature? didnt know that. will check it out more and post if i have any more questions!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by HUTCHSTACO
Not to be negative, but why are so many interested in remote start, its seems like a neat gadget but i think its a novelty that would ware out and not get used much, i'm thinking of getting it myself still, not decided yet, just wondering what the appeal is for you.
Dood, are you kidding??? It's Just Kewl!

Seriously... The biggest reason is that it's nice to get into a warm truck in the winter or a cool truck in the summer.

Past that, there _is_ a pretty big Kewl factor happening. The FM-870 also has a number of outputs (6 total) that you can use for controlling other things like door locks, rear hatch, rear window up/down, side window up/down, lights, etc. just about anything you can think of. (some of these features will require extra wiring and the use of one or more relays)

Having the 2-way LCD is "fun". Outside of telling you the locked/unlock/armed status, it'll tell you when the vehicle is running, has a clock, a countdown timer, can show you the temperature inside the truck (requires an inexpensive temp sensor) and a couple of other things.

Originally Posted by colsoncj
thanks for the advice guys, so the commando 870 does have the remote start feature? didnt know that. will check it out more and post if i have any more questions!
Ummm... yeup: http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm30032.htm

And there're two days left on the Yotatech discount:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f124/commando-870-special-holiday-20-off-sale-dec-1st-14th-only-72881/

Last edited by midiwall; 12-12-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Have any of you personally installed this system on a manaul?

Nother question, how is the neutral safety setup? Is it a input to the brain?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Have any of you personally installed this system on a manaul?
I've seen the results, but haven't done it myself.

Nother question, how is the neutral safety setup? Is it a input to the brain?
Yes, it's a dedicated input to the control module. You can download the install manual here. Check page 9, input H5/3.

If that doesn't seem safe enough, then it's pretty straight forward to wire a relay that will mechanically disconnect the power from the ignition when the alarm is set and the truck isn't in neutral.

If you have questions, drop an email to Ryan at ryan@slickcar.com, he's the tech/support contact for Commando. Tell him you're being refered from Yotatech and that Bob & Mark say "hi!".

Last edited by midiwall; 12-12-2005 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 AM

cory, the nustart "nus 1000" is a r/s only that is designed for manual shift vehicles. also there is a "nuas 1000" that is a r/s and alarm. i sell these at my shop and have one in my 924r. the way the failsafe works for tha tranny is this. its what they call reservation mode. when exiting the vehicle, apply foot brake,apply e- brake( MUST WORK!!!!!) place in neutral, turn key off, vehicle stays running until you close the last door on the vehicle. that way you cant leave the truck in gear.also if any one opens the door while in reservation mode, it will cancel the start feature. pretty cool. no offence mark, i once watched a senior installer drive his brand new t- bird across the lot over the curb and into a tree. this was an older r/s with what seemed like an infinite crank timer and a " home made" shifter position sensor mag switch. none the less damage was done, especially when he backed the car off the tree and curb the bumper got pulled off. instant chest deflator.he was lucky no one got hurt.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:00 AM

sorry cory, i believe the nustart product is called "compustar" south of the boarder. can`t remember the mod#`s but web site should show .i think it`s http://www.compustar.com/
Old 12-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Ya the remote start i had in it previously had the same kind of reservation mode.... something i'd like to have again, really makes sure everything is setup properly for the remote start... but the last system just wouldnt start the truck, and if it did, it kept spinnin the starter.... then it fried a relay internally and i just yanked it out.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4chucker
no offence mark...
Never any take man. We can all learn from one-another. I had no idea that an RS system could have a complicated exit procedure decided to protect you on the next start!