Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

1st Gen Rear Window Controlled by Alarm

Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Gen Rear Window Controlled by Alarm

Hey Guys,

Been a while. I needed some help. I'm sick of the rear window switch (with key) at the gate and tired of having to turn on the truck to open the window.

I am looking at replacing my alarm with one of the viper switches and they have extra auxilary ports. One even had 5 extra ports!
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_6073606...6V.html?tp=149

I noticed Roger Brown's page addresses the relay box behind the driver and figured this would be a critical junction.

Could I use these functions to control the window switch directly or via relays?

I'm guessing that the alarm would trigger two relays (up, and down) to complete the ciruit (I.e. jumper the contacts)

Just curious if anyone had done this successfully and might have some tips.

Big concerns:
Remote control of this feature, up and down preferred.
How long will it "cycle"? I want to make sure it's enough to open or close the window, but not so much that it keeps the circuit open.

Thanks, Seth
Old 03-21-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
...I needed some help. I'm sick of the rear window switch (with key) at the gate and tired of having to turn on the truck to open the window....
Hi Seth,
Schematic of First-Gen MoreFunner Rear Window control with added switch for controlling from inside rear deck is below..
Here are my thoughts... To do what you want:
1) Find out which port on alarm turns on when you UNlock. Probably only turns on momentarily.
2) Find out which port on alarm turns on when you Lock. Probably only turns on momentarily.
3) IF ports above only turn on momentarily, you would need 2 Delay-OFF timer relay (pardon terminology- I'm confused myself- but you want a relay that closes its contacts as soon as it sees control power pulse on and off... and keeps contacts closed for the time it takes to roll window up or down.
3) Replace UP contact (of "Added Switch" in schematic) with relay controlled by port from (2 - lock)
4) Replace Down contact with (of "Added Switch" in schematic) with relay controlled by port from (1- UNlock).

How long will it "cycle"? I want to make sure it's enough to open or close the window, but not so much that it keeps the circuit open.
Seth,
When you read up on the alarm system it should tell you whether or not the UP/Lock or Down/Unlock ports stay on for certain amount of time or merely pulses (momentarily on then off).
If on for certain amount of time, compare with how long you have to press up/down switch to completely move window.
IF momentary, delay-off timer relay should be adjustable for amount of time desired.
-Ray

How First-Gen MoreFunner Rear Window Works

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-21-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I have the viper alarm with add on window control. I love it. Makes life easier as I can hit the aux button and the rear window rolls down. I wired it per the instructions the control box came with. It was so many years ago that this was installed I can't remember how I did it.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed