General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Would like some feedback on a paint job

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Would like some feedback on a paint job

I am thinking of doing a camo'd paint scheme on my truck similar to the photo I have attached. Using only flat rattle can. I was originally gonna paint the truck Just olive drab but it's been done A LOTand the fact I wound up painting the block, accessories blue and decided to keep the black and blue and maybe a little white. Partially because of an arena football team here but which is no longer a team. So here is what I came up with. My only worry is that it looks somewhat cartoonish. Also, I remember someone doing a black and white zebra style "camo" as well. I kinda liked that too and thought of doing it in blue.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-20-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in my humble opinion, that car is one of the ugliest P's O S I have ever seen. I think camo paint jobs are OK given the right paint (flat....non-gloss) & the right scheme (urban camo looks dumb on clothing too).

I like tiger stripe, with black, loam green, olive drab & maybe a smidge of brown applied in the right places. But the pattern is critical; I've seen so many camo jobs here in Arkansas it's not funny & out of the thousands I've seen, only a handful were tight.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely gonna go with flat colors. I wish I coulda gotten a photo of a local Yota here with a standard color camo style. But I haven't seen his truck for a while now. I thought of using a digital pattern but I think it will be hard to pull off. Desert pattern is out. I don't like it.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-20-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:55 AM

yeah man, definitely research the pattern you want. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste in the end; what you like may only be righteous to you lol

For instance, there's a GMC pick-up running around here I see every now & then with a decent camo pattern but they used high gloss & about 20 layers of clear coat! It just makes me shake my head when I see it because the paint job, had it been anything other than camo; would have been considered very nicely done.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
please...don't do a camouflage pattern...PLEASE!

on the other hand , I think OLIVE DRAB or something like that is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with a flat color anything....unless you turn it into camouflage ...then you a scourge.....hahahhaha.

that truck is begging to be Olive Drab with black wheels.....hmmmmmm
Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 AM

Olive drab with a blue block is gonna look kinda weird though.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:37 AM

ahhhhh.

you're not driving with the hood up. I hope....not on purpose at least.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
ahhhhh.

you're not driving with the hood up. I hope....not on purpose at least.
Nah I took it off. Engine was getting too hot.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mossy Oak Treestand FTW
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM

don't encourage him.....he'll do it.

then when we go to rausch he won't be able to find his truck.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM

only if i don't roll it down a hill lol. I have considered vinyl. and it might not take taking it to rausch one rotor off and bearing races finally out of the rotor. notice I said one rotor. and to top it off I just split half a bottle of corona on the floor getting up from the comp.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-03-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by RyanFlyin
Mossy Oak Treestand FTW
you mean kinda like this? lol

Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM

olive drab? blech http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...661668664.html
camo can look awsom when done right.

however i fully intend on getting primer black with candy coated lime green racing stripes on the hood!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
you mean kinda like this? lol

LMAO.... Background set!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM

I think it looks badass on that car but it would probally look like the owner was a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket if he did that to one of these trucks =)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_petersen77
I think it looks badass on that car but it would probally look like the owner was a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket if he did that to one of these trucks =)
for those who actually find this cool, it's from the Krylon website: http://www.krylon.com/projects/sport...kick/index.jsp

Project Time: 10+ hrs
Materials

• Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer - Gray (#51318)
  • Krylon Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology - Black (#4290)
  • Krylon Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology - Khaki (#4291)
  • Krylon Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology - Brown (#4292)
  • Krylon Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology - Olive (#4293)
  • Krylon Snap & Spray - (#7099)
  • Latex gloves (optional)
General Supplies

• Sand paper or a small orbital sander
  • Small putty trowel
  • Newspaper
  • Painters masking tape (I used green body work masking tape)
  • Freshly cut live tree branches, some dead wood branches and any local vegetation in your area (wait until you’re ready to paint to gather these)

Instructions

1. Remove all side trims, which are held in place by double-faced tape. To remove these, use a small putty trowel to lift one end gently as you pull evenly. The trim will slowly come loose without breaking. Remove bumpers and mask everything else that you do not want to paint.
  2. The whole surface to be painted should be without any rust, clean and lightly sanded to ensure proper bonding of the paint. Apply primer in THIN coats following directions on can until it fully hides the old surface providing an opaque gray finish. Ideally it should be left to completely dry and cure. Personally, I’d wait at least 7 days, during which dust and dirt is most likely to accumulate so a good wash will be needed before a LIGHT sanding in preparation of the final step.
  3. IMPORTANT: READ INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PAINT CAN PRIOR TO PAINTING. Collect fresh plants and dead sticks just before applying the Camouflage paint.
  4. The following color order of application should be followed for best results: Khaki, Olive, Brown and Black. With your Khaki paint well shaken, hold a leafy branch or dead stick as close to the vehicle as possible without actually touching it (by touching it or laying it flat on the surface you will make runs in the paint), then spray paint in short bursts until the negative of your branch is visible on the surface, change branch and repeat the process not too far from the first one again and again until you have been around the whole body of the vehicle. On my truck, 2 cans of the same color were plenty to go all the way around. Keep in mind you will have 3 more colors to apply once this one is done so at this point it is normal to still see primed surface.
  5. Now using the Olive green paint do exactly the same as above followed by the Brown and then black paint. Keep in mind that if you make the paint run on one spot you can wipe it off since you will be able to cover small mistakes like that as you go along with different colors and the finish job itself makes mistakes extremely hard to see…that’s the beauty of this “Camouflage system”. Even later if you scratch your paint, touch-ups are made by simply spraying a small amount of any of the 4 colors of the system for an invisible instant repair.
Tips

• The time needed for preparation of the surface to be painted will depend on the actual state of the vehicle’s body. It is important to carefully mask windows and unremovable trimmings; that took me 3 hours. The primer coat itself should take 2 to 3 hours, and the painting took me about 4 hours.
  • If bodywork is needed, this might be a little more challenging than the painting itself. If in doubt, have it done by a professional or a friend with some experience in the matter, making sure the right primer will be used.
  • I think the best advice I could give you is simply doing a test on some object before starting your project. I used my canoe for practice and once I saw the result, it gave me all the confidence I needed to go ahead with my truck. I am certain you will get the same satisfaction of a job well done, and I have no doubt you will be very proud of your completed project.
  • Using the Snap & Spray on the spray cans will make the painting easier and more comfortable.
  • Do not forget that small mishaps while painting will hardly be visible once the painting is completed.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 AM

I dont know why...but i kinda like it. And are you seriously driving around without a hood? If you like it, GO FOR IT! but if your like me you will change your mind a hundred times before you ever get to do it; and you will do something completely different than you first thought.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by HazMat
I dont know why...but i kinda like it. And are you seriously driving around without a hood? If you like it, GO FOR IT! but if your like me you will change your mind a hundred times before you ever get to do it; and you will do something completely different than you first thought.
I kinda like the idea behind a rattle can "real tree" camo and how they accomplished it.

My thoughts were the blue camo at first because noone has really done it. then I though black and blue "zebra" stripe, but I seen someone I think that was on here with black and white like that and didn't care for it much. OD Green is always done on rigs not just yotas. Right now I am leaning towards desert tan 686 and black. The real CARC color is extremely expensive though per gallon and isn't the easiest to work with even with the new WD CARC paint. Doing it in Krylon Camo tan is probably the way to go at $4.00 or so a can. Just not sure how many cans my single cab is gonna take.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
flat black baby.....
Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 AM

why not just lay down a base of camo tan and see how that looks and take it from there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would like some feedback on a paint job