General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Who uses the clutch start cancel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who uses the clutch start cancel?

Just wondering.

Have you ever used the Clutch Start Cancel button?

Why did you use it?

What does it do?

Can you break something on your truck by using it?

Thanks (in advance) for the replies.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

i have used it.

when my left foot is lazy.

or when you stall it in gear on a hill (wheeling...). leave it in gear then start it and give it gas so you dont start rolling down the hill in neutral.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 AM

i use it every now and then, it is nice to have. The funny thing is, the indicator light stays on until you shut the engine off and take the key out

Same reason i used it, left foot is lazy and offroading
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by garrett1478
i have used it.

when my left foot is lazy.

or when you stall it in gear on a hill (wheeling...). leave it in gear then start it and give it gas so you dont start rolling down the hill in neutral.
Both an alternative to a harder solution

Lazy people galore
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use it often - In the winter to start the truck - reach in, pull it out of gear hit the button & fire it up - that way I don't have to get into the cold truck before I scrape the windows - this is if I have forgotten to set the remote starter. I have tried it out at the cabin getting the truck going in gear to find out what it would do - appearantly you can get the truck started & rolling in reverse - even with the e-brake on - opps
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Use it all the time when I go skiing and I want to start it up to get it warm as soon as possible when I'm done skiing for the day. THe clutch isn't that easy to press down with skiboots on.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 AM

If I'm camping in the truck (bottom portion of the back seats removed, top parts folded down...) my front seat usually has some crap on it. If I want to fire it up I can't even reach the clutch. I hear one of the uses of it is if you are stuck. You leave the truck in gear, push the clutch start cancel, and let the starter do the job. I dunno bout that though. Just doesn't seem right to me...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
I hear one of the uses of it is if you are stuck. You leave the truck in gear, push the clutch start cancel, and let the starter do the job. I dunno bout that though. Just doesn't seem right to me...
that is the original reason for the button. it works great.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:35 AM

All day every day. The wifey leaves it in gear though when she get's done driving it and sets the parking brake. Been a couple of times that I've keyed the ignition and she's lurched foward. I'm lazy-yes. But why put it there if you don't want me to use it? I suppose it might be a little rough on the starter, but I don't forsee the little manual tranny putting that much stress on it.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 AM

wouldnt it just lurch forward and stall if it was in gear?

and i use it all the time when im not gettin into the truck, just startin er up, if im it, i just dump the clutch.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Won't it fry the starter?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM

when i bought my 91 runner it would turn over but not start,used it,put in first gear & let the starter pull it up on the trailer-wouldn't do that again but it worked in a pinch.use it almost every time when starting-knock it out of gear pus the button & fire it up.used it once wheeling when i killed the engine on a steep hill so not to use the clutch
Old 11-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you read the manual the point of the button is to allow you to start the truck without haveing to step on the clutch while in a difficult postion while 4wheeling.

I use it just about every time im out on the trail. ther starter will easly start the truck in 4low (when its in gear)

i also use it when im being lazy and dont want to get all the way in the truck, much like others have mentioned.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i use mine once in a great while
Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
Won't it fry the starter?
If used too much, yes. It's actually better for the truck starting it without the clutch if it isn't in gear though, saves the thrust bearing.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exactly.

The reason for the clutch start is for safety. The reason is to prevent you from starting a car in gear and then accidently running over, say, kids, through your garage, etc etc...Almost all new cars have a clutch start lockout. You can't start the car w/out pushing the clutch in. Toyota was nice though, and gave us the option of canceling it, for reasons stated above.

This being said. I hate that stupid feature, and have since disconnected it. My clutch start cancel does nothing now, and my truck starts in gear whether in high range or low range. I do it all the time, it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:00 PM

Last time i really had to use it (besides the obvious laziness) was when the clutch slave cylinder went out in my 93, while I could still use the the pedal to activate the switch I was 2 foot driving at intersections the extra insurance of just reaching for the key was worth it
Old 11-18-2006, 02:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I only use it when working on the truck. If I need to check something (timing) reach in hit the button, then start it. It's just quicker. I never use it for normal driving.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:13 AM

All the time, start the truck from outside in winter, when doing under hood work... start in gear if need be, only ever done that once...

Before I even owned a toyota I had a 99 ford ranger that I did this mod to, put a switch on the column.....

Its a great thing...
Old 11-18-2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
The reason for the clutch start is for safety. The reason is to prevent you from starting a car in gear and then accidently running over, say, kids, through your garage, etc etc...Almost all new cars have a clutch start lockout. You can't start the car w/out pushing the clutch in. Toyota was nice though, and gave us the option of canceling it, for reasons stated above.
True that's why they require the clutch to start the truck, but the reason for the clutch start cancel is for what was stated above, it says right in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Who uses the clutch start cancel?