General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

what type of radiator fluid do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what type of radiator fluid do i need?

i have the 3.4 and will be flushing the radiator tomorrow. do i have to use toyota red coolant? i bought some prestone stuff from wally's and am going to clean/flush with distilled water. the chart there said that the fluid i got was good for imports. its yellow, and the dealers will be closed tomorrow here. ill be cleaning it with a small thing of prestone rad cleaner, to remove any scaling.

if you feel there is a need for the TOYOTA brand, tell me why please. anybody NOT use the "yota red"?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
as long as you get all the old coolant out you should be fine
Old 09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

thanks, the stuff i got says it could be mixed with any kind of coolant. i am going to flush it twice and clean it once
Old 09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fireteacher
i have the 3.4 and will be flushing the radiator tomorrow. do i have to use toyota red coolant? i bought some prestone stuff from wally's and am going to clean/flush with distilled water. the chart there said that the fluid i got was good for imports. its yellow, and the dealers will be closed tomorrow here. ill be cleaning it with a small thing of prestone rad cleaner, to remove any scaling.

if you feel there is a need for the TOYOTA brand, tell me why please. anybody NOT use the "yota red"?
If I were buying a used Toyota, it would be very reassuring to see some nice clean Toyota red coolant in it--
apart from that, just make sure your mix is up to the task of keeping things flowing this winter.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

thats what food color is for!!!! :j/k:

i will be making an exact 50/50 as i am moving to hawaii!!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...tember/04.html

I personally went for the GM DexCool stuff at Wal Mart, but that's just me. It was only $9 there.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the link, i have no idea what the toyota stuff goes for but i bet its not cheap!!!
the stuff i got isnt premixed so its cheaper and i get more! i was going to get the orange til i saw gm on it! it would have cost me $30 for that one and i payed 20 for the equivelant of 4 gallons
Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
toyota red is about $20-25 bucks for a gallon
Old 09-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

anyone take a 3/8 hose to the drain by the pet-cock valve? did you just let the fluid drain out?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

I just let the fluid drain out...with the skid plate off of course.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Exclamation

anyone take a 3/8 hose to the drain by the pet-cock valve? did you just let the fluid drain out?

Thats how we do it at work. Just attach a small hose to that downspout. Also, make sure you drain it into a container and take it to a recycling facilty to be disposed of properly....many auto parts stores can also handle the fluids.

DO NOT just let it drain on the ground!!!! BAD BAD BAD that ends up in storm drains and kills fish and other things. Like cats. And we al love kittys.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:48 AM

It really does not matter what type of coolant you use to replace you stock Toyota coolant. One type is not better at cooling than the other.

Some of the newer coolants are suppose to be easier on the environment than the old type green coolant. As long as your cooling system does not leak and is not overfilled to where it overflows out the reservoir the green stuff has no impact on the environment. Oh yea, don't dump the stuff down the drain; take it to a recycler. The only thing is some types do not mix well or at all.

Both the old type and the new type coolants have additives that help with scum buildup. There have been claims that the newer type coolant additives last longer but I have not witnessed this myself. Frankly, I have not run the newer coolant long enough to test this claim out.

The only thing is some types do not mix well or at all. If you plan on switching coolant make sure they are compatible or flush the whole system. You must also use the appropriate tester for they coolant you are using. I have had problems with anti-freeze testers that did not read the mixure correctly when to "compatable antifreezes" were mixed.

Personally, I use the cheap green coolant in my 1990 Toyota truck. Also, if cooling sytem work is required on newer fleet vehicles (at my place of employement) the coolant is switched to the green antifreeze.

Last edited by kdawghuntnfish; 09-10-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Thats how we do it at work. Just attach a small hose to that downspout. Also, make sure you drain it into a container and take it to a recycling facilty to be disposed of properly....many auto parts stores can also handle the fluids.

DO NOT just let it drain on the ground!!!! BAD BAD BAD that ends up in storm drains and kills fish and other things. Like cats. And we al love kittys.
DeathCouger, your a little quicker to respond than me. exept for the loving kittys part!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

DANG!, the place on the base would have closed to soon for me to complete this task cause the fluid would have to cool down. i wonder if it will make a huge mess if i did it in the parking lot in the aprtments!!! j/k have to wait till wednsday now
Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

you might consider a new thermostat while you are in there.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

BTW: I meant into a bucket, not just on the ground.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

i know!! just had the water pump changed and the thermo with it less thank 5k ago.

i was kidding, i think it will make a mess either way i do it! my luck i guess. ill just wait to put the runner on a lift and fill some buckets that way. i have to retap my tranny drain plug so i can do that while things cool down in there!
Old 09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

I would only use the Toyota coolant. Here is a link to a great writeup on why to use toyota coolant.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...toyota+coolant
Old 09-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

come on strap, either i missed it or that write up said NOTHING to state the facts that using the "yota red" is a must.

maybe you posted the wrong thread!!!

Last edited by fireteacher; 09-10-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
lee
Contributing Member

im using toyota pink.

Quick Reply: what type of radiator fluid do i need?