General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Tried Lysol in vents need more help fighting mildew smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried Lysol in vents need more help fighting mildew smell

I sprayed Lysol into the heater/AC vents and also into the outer air intakes (near hood) to try and elimanate a mildew odor on a 94 pickup I just bought. The lysol did help but I want to go further. I just ordered a type of Foaming Product called "Kool-it" (anyone tried this?).

My question is, where is the most effective place to use it? If I want the foam to get into the heater core and AC box (terminology?) should I remove the blower and shove the tube up down or sideways somewhere? I have a Haynes shop manual but it does not have any pictures of the actual vents/tubing/airways behind the dash.

Thanks for your help! I am trying to avoid having to get rid of the truck because of this issue (I think the contaminant gave me an allergy cough or bronchitis).
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't personally tell you how to do it but I did a little looking around on youtube when a family members AC started smelling bad and the dealer wanted big money to fix it. Said family member still hasn't done anything so I can't tell you if anything in these videos work or not.

You might fall asleep during this one
Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Thanks for your help. The second video might have given me what I need, it mentions a resistor near the blower I can remove to get a little access hole. I will look for that.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Back in the day, we used an aerosol product called OZIUM to get rid of stink.

The original scent was favored by undertakers to banish dead body smells.

Seems that stoners also favored it to clear certain smoke odors too.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
how long did you spray the lysol? i did this earlier this season on my land cruiser and it worked pretty good. i sprayed for about 45 seconds both on heat and ac. older truck though may have lots more funk buildup inside....
Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 PM

Used the "Kool-it" product which helped. Removed resistor near blower to spray in near heater core or condenser. Some nasty looking black liquid stuff dripped out. A few days later I used an ENTIRE can of Pledge Anti Bacterial aerosol spray (into air intake near hood) while heater blowing fast from outside air. Now it's been a week and I believe the mildew or whatever it was is finally gone.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Mildew is mold. I hate the smell of Lysol. I don't think it's all that effective anyway. I used Concrobium to spray down the walls and floor of my garage when it flooded during a hurricane five years ago. It killed all the mold and prevents it. Professional mold remediation companies put it in foggers to repair houses. You can rent the big fogger at Home Depot. You can also buy small spray cans of it, which is what you need. I don't think it leaves behind any odor. I ripped walls out and rebuilt any never noticed any left over odor.

Amazon.com: Concrobium Mold Control Aerosol 14 Oz: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Concrobium Mold Control Aerosol 14 Oz: Home Improvement
Old 09-27-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My best results with the lysol method are to put the system on recirc, fan on hi, then spray into the passenger footwell so it's sucked in.

I try to get a good fog sucking through while switching the vents from defog to dash.
Then i run it on fresh air only for a couple days to let it dry completely.

Also confirm your drain tube is completely unblocked.

If you don't like the smell, citrus oil concentrate may work too.