YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Toyota Type T-IV auto tranny fluid equivalent?

I am about to change the auto tranny fluid on wifey's 99 Lexus RX300 and I would prefer not to have to pay the premium price of the Toyota brand at the dealership if there is a domestic brand that is functionally equivalent.

Any recommendations?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

You might like to check Amsoil. I think they have a Dexron III ATF that meets Toyota T-IV requirements.

HTH.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoySharif
You might like to check Amsoil. I think they have a Dexron III ATF that meets Toyota T-IV requirements.

HTH.
Thanks, Roy, I might consider that.

But is the Toyota T-IV similar to either the Mercon or Dextron III or Ford type F, or is it completely different? I'd like not to mix dissimilar fluids on a regular fluid change where not all the tranny fluid is exchanged.

Surely not every one on this board with an auto tranny uses the Toyota brand fluid. What do the rest of you use?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I use Dexron 3. Dex 3 and Type F are totally different fluids for the different types of clutch materials used in the tranny so you cannot mix them. I was unaware that Toyota had a different type of fluid.
1998 4Runner SR5, Surco Safari rack, diff breather mod, Cobra WXST II CB radio, 31" General Grabber AT2 tires, clear corner/bumper lens, hitch mount backup lamps, KC hilites, PIAA fog lamps, PCV catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofer
"ohhh you are one hot 4runner, look at that flex... oh yeahhhh"
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
Yeah...
Teens these days...
(granted I am 19 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peow130 View Post
i don't want your pile of crap, i have my own, i just want your pieces off your pile of crap.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Toyota specified Dexron II or higher for my truck's tranny (A340F). I use Red Line High Temp ATF which meets Dexron III requirements.

Toyota came out with a T-IV ATF early in the 1990's, I think, but they reverted back to Dexron II/III. However, I was told that late model Land Cruisers (UZJ100) came out specified with Toyota T-IV atf. It is my understanding that Toyota T-IV atf meets Dexron II/III requirements. I just don't know if Dexron II/III meets Toyota T-IV requirements.

EDIT: High-end ATF brands (such as Red Line and Amsoil) usually meet both Dexron III and Mercon IV requirements. Product specifications and referenced standards are usually indicated in the product label. But I think Type F should NEVER be mixed with either Dexron or Mercon atf.

HTH.

Last edited by KZN185W; 08-28-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoySharif
Toyota specified Dexron II or higher for my truck's tranny (A340F). It is my understanding that Toyota T-IV atf meets Dexron II/III requirements. I just don't know if Dexron II/III meets Toyota T-IV requirements.

High-end ATF brands (such as Red Line and Amsoil) usually meet both Dexron III and Mercon IV requirements.

HTH.
I have limited experience with Toyota products. All I know is that my wife's '99 RX300 just specifys T T-IV and the same for my daughter's '03 Corolla. I have used Redline products with good results in several GM vehicles over the years. Perhaps I should research Redline's website to see if they mention compatibility with T Type-IV.

It is interesting to hear that Toyota has specified Dexron in the past.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Here you go:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/trans...fluid_rec.aspx

I tried the Red Line site but there was no mention of a Red Line ATF that's compatible to Toyota T-IV requirements:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...sp?subcatID=19

HTH.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Roy, thanks for the Amsoil link.

Well, earlier today I went to the Toyota stealership and they gave me a discount on a 12 qt case of T-IV. So I bought it. I was told by the parts guy that they get asked that question about compatibilty with Dextron. He claimed that the T-IV is synthetic and also that Dextron III is really not compatible. I guess that is what I would expect him to say.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement
Closed Thread

Tags
30, a340f, atf, dexron, dexront, fluid, fluids, iv, price, sale, specs, surf, synthetic, tdi, tiv, toyota, trans, type