General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Toyota Carriers Suck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota Carriers Suck!

So I had issues with my gear install...old news.

So, Protrux has been helping me get back on my feet. We can use my gears and locker, and have new bearings, but my carrier is worn to the point that the bearings were sloppy.

So we try another carrier in the shop, same issue. Theyt start looking for new carriers, everything has the same issue.

Talk to the gear shop. They had 10 carriers sent over from california minitrucks, all 10 had the same issue.

WTF?

Anyone know where to get a carrier in good shape for cheap? Do I HAVE to spend 450.00 and replace my new aussie locker with a full detroit softlocker?

I'm tired of spending money on things that have been upgraded.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
So I had issues with my gear install...old news.

So, Protrux has been helping me get back on my feet. We can use my gears and locker, and have new bearings, but my carrier is worn to the point that the bearings were sloppy.

So we try another carrier in the shop, same issue. Theyt start looking for new carriers, everything has the same issue.

Talk to the gear shop. They had 10 carriers sent over from california minitrucks, all 10 had the same issue.

WTF?

Anyone know where to get a carrier in good shape for cheap? Do I HAVE to spend 450.00 and replace my new aussie locker with a full detroit softlocker?

I'm tired of spending money on things that have been upgraded.

I've NEVER, EVER seen or heard of this. Check w/ Zuk....
Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting..... post what you find out.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Ive never heard of this either. Who's bearings are you using?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Maybe accidentally using setup gears?? They are oversized to come on and off easily.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Not the gears, but the bearings. The metal that the carrier is made of is soft and supposedly the bearings are supposed to be a press fit. These are supposedly prone to spinning bearings due to soft carrier material.

I had never heard of it or I would have just gotten a softlocker instead of the aussie locker.

I can attest to the looseness, the bearings will just slide ona nd off and you can see obvious signs of wear on the shafts that the bearings slip over.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Not the gears, but the bearings. The metal that the carrier is made of is soft and supposedly the bearings are supposed to be a press fit. These are supposedly prone to spinning bearings due to soft carrier material.

I had never heard of it or I would have just gotten a softlocker instead of the aussie locker.

I can attest to the looseness, the bearings will just slide ona nd off and you can see obvious signs of wear on the shafts that the bearings slip over.

What brand bearings? Possible you got the wrong ones?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 PM

No they are correct bearings, they were installed by a reputable gear installer and were originally a snug fit. Now they are loose on teh same exact carrier and the current shop I go to is Toyota only, so they would know if they ahd the wrong bearings.

I wish it were that simple. I have seen a few of these carriers and it is obvious that they have had spun bearings.

Does anyone know if a V6 carrier will work witha 4 cyl gear set and aussie locker ina 4 cyl 3rd member?

Two of our Yotatech brethren have offered to supply me with thier old V6 3rds.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

No they are correct bearings, they were installed by a reputable gear installer and were originally a snug fit. Now they are loose on teh same exact carrier and the current shop I go to is Toyota only, so they would know if they ahd the wrong bearings.

I wish it were that simple. I have seen a few of these carriers and it is obvious that they have had spun bearings.

Does anyone know if a V6 carrier will work witha 4 cyl gear set and aussie locker ina 4 cyl 3rd member?

the problem you have seems to be relatively common, the locker wont work in a v6 carrier, the v6 has larger bearings, but the I.D. of the race might be the same, i dont know for sure
Old 01-05-2006, 10:19 PM

ehhhh, if I can't use my locker then it is no good. Shoot, so V6 carriers are out.

It's looking like my only way to get a propper gear setup is to get a carrier style locker like the detroit.

I don't really have the money for it now, but unless there is another option?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

ehhhh, if I can't use my locker then it is no good. Shoot, so V6 carriers are out.

It's looking like my only way to get a propper gear setup is to get a carrier style locker like the detroit.

I don't really have the money for it now, but unless there is another option?
there may be a way to get you some more time, how loose are they exactly, will they fall off by themselves, or just by hand?
take a semi blunt punch, and make evenly spaced dimples around where the bearing sits, this will raise the material, and buy you some time
Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 PM

honestly, i would try another set of bearings. i have never come across this problem even after pressing bearings on and off several times.

try some locktite on the inside of the bearing
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

I just went and checked one of the carriers i have laying arround here, and it doesnt have the problem you speak of either. If you were closer i would offer you my 4 cyl carriers i have here for free, but your 2000 miles away.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

ARB lockers fit the bearing quite well. I own three of them. I have also blow up the R&P Kongs put in. I had to buy a brand new $550 e-locker carrier. Same deal, carrier was shot.

ARB's all the way. My 1981 truck will get two ARB's.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, the guy who screwed my gears up at Kongs used to work at Protrucks. If you see some guy with black hair named Ellias, Tell he he is a moron and don't let him touch anything.

Here is the idiot. Don't let this man set your gears up.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/regear/0019.jpg

Bottom right corner.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:24 AM

Does Protrux work on diffs, or do they give it to O-side Driveline?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:54 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
deathrunner---I occasionally run into that problem so the quick fix(usually permanent) is to use a sleeve locking compound....runs $24 for a bottle of it like the one shown in the pic below. I don't know how well Red LocTite would work in this application. What I do is clean surfaces....clean my fingertip with a touch of starting fluid....apply 2 drops to the parts....smear around with my oil-free finger and assemble case in the carrier with bearings under tension while it dries overnight.

Last edited by ZUK; 01-06-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It will work IF you have a machine shop make a press-on steel bushing with the correct ID and OD.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Oh yeah, the guy who screwed my gears up at Kongs used to work at Protrucks. If you see some guy with black hair named Ellias, Tell he he is a moron and don't let him touch anything.

Here is the idiot. Don't let this man set your gears up.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/regear/0019.jpg

Bottom right corner.

I actually go to a place called Protrux, the X gets them extra bling points. but i'll be sure to avoid that guy on the street too.

So, even the newer carriers are still soft? I can see spending that much for an e-locker carrier, but I can't see spending 500 for just a stock 4cyl carrier.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
deathrunner---I occasionally run into that problem so the quick fix(usually permanent) is to use a sleeve locking compound....runs $24 for a bottle of it like the one shown in the pic below. I don't know how well Red LocTite would work in this application. What I do is clean surfaces....clean my fingertip with a touch of starting fluid....apply 2 drops to the parts....smear around with my oil-free finger and assemble case in the carrier with bearings under tension while it dries overnight.

You definitely have some cool ideas, I think at this point I might just shell out the cash for a detroit, just for the peace of mind in the future. I don't want to have to deal with this issue in the future when I blow an R&P and have a carrier with bearings stuck on it.

I wish I knew of this when I bought my aussies locker (Although a fine product in itself), I would have just put that money into the detroit and setup.

Quick Reply: Toyota Carriers Suck!