General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

smokers smell removal??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never tried it but, I was told, if you clean the interior real well and then take some listerine, pour it in a bowl, roll up the windows, and place it on the floor and leave it overnight, it will soak up the smoke smell and leave the vehicle smelling fresh again. Like I said, I never tried it but, it may be worth a shot!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Ned

Thanks guys. Some really good tips here. I have been cleaning my butt off. But, I've yet to shampoo the carpet. That will be my next step. I was thinking, I could always do the "Grumpy old men" thing and hang 10 Xmas tree fresheners from my mirror and several in each window. Ha
Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just shampoo the crap out of everything and have a cup of listerine in there overnight, that will kill it
Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
You could just go to a DIY car wash and use the ultra kool smelling spray in scents...If that doesnt work...it was only a quater...

Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM

Just buy a new interor!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 AM

hey try this

i had same poblem after gettin it back from a yard that replaced the engine and i guess they smoke like freaks so my interior stunk,it didn't before this .i got some isoproyl alcohol there are two strengths get the stronger strength at drug store pour the rubbing alcohol into a good spray bottle and label it for future use then spray the alcohol into the vents up infront of the windshield by the wipers four or five full pulls on the trigger in each vent, next go and spray a pull inside the vents inside your vehicle, start your vehicle up and turn the ac on and turn the fan sped on high do not stay in vehicle while it is blowing wait a few minutes then do the same thing only turn your heat up all the way and wait ,make sure ya run your vehicle outside so ya dont get carbon monoxide poisoning. i did this and my car smells 100 % like a new vehicle and i have never smoked.

happy trails
Rick
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM

I have a pump sprayer I filled it up with a little cascade dish soap and hot water let the soap dissolve then sprayed the ac coil and heater core with it let it set for a min then sprayed it off with hot water that made the most difference when I was trying to get the smoker smell out of my 4runner.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 AM

I used a sharper image Ionic breeze portable unit (~$20) and it worked wonders.
I left it on in the car overnight for a week straight, and all of the PO's smell was gone.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 AM

OMG, I can't believe the lengths people are willing to go to. I worked at dealerships for years. Most of us smoked and we would often take cars home. We refererred to the practice as "hot boxing" when we would smoke like fiends in brand new 40,000.00 cars with the windows up. Just to have the privilage of telling the snobby new owner it had never been smoked in.

Come on people, we live in air that chokes us all, has brought the asthma rate to unheard of levels and your worried about a little residue from a pack of "luckies", how about the 10,000 farts that have been emitted in the drivers seat from the previous owner.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:52 AM

Try an air freshener called OZIUM, it comes in a taller thin bottle and can be found in the auto section at wal-mart or at autozone. It's easy to over look the can, it's light blue with a white background. this stuff works great!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Ned

Originally Posted by oatmealwine
OMG, I can't believe the lengths people are willing to go to. I worked at dealerships for years. Most of us smoked and we would often take cars home. We refererred to the practice as "hot boxing" when we would smoke like fiends in brand new 40,000.00 cars with the windows up. Just to have the privilage of telling the snobby new owner it had never been smoked in.

Come on people, we live in air that chokes us all, has brought the asthma rate to unheard of levels and your worried about a little residue from a pack of "luckies", how about the 10,000 farts that have been emitted in the drivers seat from the previous owner.
Bottom line: Stale cigarette smoke smells like a**. Smokers never think so because they are used to the smell. Sad but true. "hot boxing"? That's classy.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Theres this thing i was reading a while ago, its for Import JDM cars when they come over. I guess they have this "smell" to them, anywho. Theres like this aerosol bomb that you can put in your car. It fills the entire cabin with the smoke and it works really really good from what i hear. Ask your local car import companies
Old 02-01-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id liek to get one of those bombs for mine the jap owners used to smoke..
i been trying for months to get it to smell off herb and hash but the tabbaco keeps winning
Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 AM

BG Products make something called fridgi-clean and fridgi-fresh (spelling??). Use those to get the smell out of the AC/heating system. Just google it and you'll find the products.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try this stuff, it WORKS!

http://www.auto-expressions.net/AFVentstonespumps.pdf

this is from the same makers of the Ozium. I never used Ozium, but I use this stuff regularly. The new car scent works very very well at masking cigarette smoke. My friends smoke, but I don't, and they always stink up my ride, but I spray a liberal amount of this around in the interior, and man, you can't even smell a trace of smoke.

BigT, I hear ya, but that stuff is no match for cigarette smoke hahaha

don't ask me how I know
Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 AM

They sell air freshners that have a no sign on them and a burnign cigarette in them. They get rid of smoke smell pretty well. I believe autozone and stores like that sell them.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Take baking soda and ground coffee, sprinkle all over the carpet and seats if they're cloth. Let sit for 24 hours then vacuum it all up. This works great for skunks also if they spray in your house.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Advice

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
anyways..the ozone generator is the most important part...
This WILL WORK!!!

The only other thing I'd do is extract your upholstry, and let it dry first, then ozone it overnight, and that will kill any odor that lives in your interior.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and run the A/C on recirc for awhile with the windows up.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
try this stuff, it WORKS!

http://www.auto-expressions.net/AFVentstonespumps.pdf

this is from the same makers of the Ozium. I never used Ozium, but I use this stuff regularly. The new car scent works very very well at masking cigarette smoke. My friends smoke, but I don't, and they always stink up my ride, but I spray a liberal amount of this around in the interior, and man, you can't even smell a trace of smoke.

BigT, I hear ya, but that stuff is no match for cigarette smoke hahaha

don't ask me how I know
easy fix to that.... DONT LET UR FRIENDS SMOKE IN UR RIDE! last time a buddy lit up a smoke in my families expedition, i pulled over and kicked him out and left. (i actually just went down the street and pulled into a sidestreet) i told him id come back and get him if he wouldnt smoke in any of my vehicles and buy me lunch. it worked. HAHA!. also, why cover the smell.. why not KILL it for good?
and yes i have smoked in a ferrarri, a porsche, mazerati... etc. dont tell the owners.... theyre back in vegas... LOL. we blamed it on the dealerships just to see what theyd do... they went after the dealers, and actually got a bunch of free crap!
as for removing the smell, the only way to TRULY, 100% get rid of it is to scrub the hell outta the dash, replace the foam in the blower motor for the fan, replace the carpet, replace the seat, replace the headliner, etc. but if thats not possible, use an ozone bomb. go to a expensive car dealership (like BMW, Mercedes, etc) and ask em how they get the smoke smell out of their used vehicles, will prob be an ozone bomb, available for XX amount of dollars

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 02-07-2009 at 04:32 AM.