General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Self tightening rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self tightening rear brakes

1987 pickup 4wd
My passenger side rear break shoes keep over tightening themselves. To the point the brakes get hot under normal driving, and I have to "loosen" them every few weeks.
They ratchet one click tighter every time I use the e-brake.
This issue started randomly and didn't occur after a brake job.
I have changed out the shoes, hardware, drums and the self adjuster. Every thing is clean and lubed at the pivot points, including the pivots all along the e-brake cable.
Searching around here I found this thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...oblems-220307/
Sounds like a similar issue although there is no resolution in that thread.
Thanks for the time,
Mica
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After thinking about for a bit, I'm wondering if the bracket that holds the star of the adjuster is worn down. Have you taken a look at that yet? I don't think they come with hardware kits, as far I've seen. If you were able to put a camera on the rear brake and see what's happening as you pull the e-brake cable, I think that would help.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your sure the bell cranks are free and adjusted correct?

Also your sure this is not a hydraulic problem where the master cylinder is not allowing the wheel cylinder to contract back to a relaxed state.

It could be a bad wheel cylinder being it is only the right side.

The left side is working like it should? Not that the right is doing most of the braking for the whole truck.

You didn`t forget the spring or maybe it is just weak that holds the adjuster lock against the adjuster star??

If that is the case as you describe will happen.

If all the mechanical is good it can only be hydraulic.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did fix it...

Never had any isues with my brakes before...ever...

Just had the same problem for about 2 months, a mechanic friend of mine offers to do my brakes ...
Long story short, he messes up with every thing, from the master cyl, to the LSPV...
It was an ordeal to have to loose my passenger side rear brakes almost every 3 days...

Ok. what I did just a few months before and fix my problem was:

FIRST_ I loose evenly both rear brakes.

SECOND_ loose the e brake cable (belows the passenger seat there is a big e brake screw with a nut) enough so you can wooble it even to both wheels where it is attached at the differential.

THIRD_Adjust both screws that are outside the drums (at the elbows of the e brake) in order they can have a space of 6mm. when the e brake is released...that hopefully my friend will fix your problem...

Funny thing is that I find the cure, not my mechanic friend...Since he was entangled with all sorts of technichals ideas... if my english were betther I would tell you the list of things he did, to fix the problem he created when he mess up with the ebrake cable adjust with out a reason...

hope this help... good luck...!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im having the same exact problem I just replaced all the hardware shoes drums and even the bellcrank and wheel cylinders only thing I can think of now is the master cylinder anyone have any other ideas before I drop another 140 buck in this thing and still have the same problem like I have heard here, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...oblems-220307/ ??

Last edited by kbetz91; 03-26-2015 at 07:17 PM.