General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." FDR....

How's that?
Old 07-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." FDR....

How's that?
pwned
Old 07-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slammdrider
does anybody know where the pcv and hose are on an 84 pickup with a 22re
slammdrider:
According to my Haynes manual...
"...the PCV valve is usually located in the rocker arm cover."

It's page 56 - just go to your local auto shop find a Haynes manual and look up the page. There's a picture there.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
since we've all tried it and have had nothing but success and you haven't tried it and think you're smarter than all of us, then why don't you enlighten us with your infinite wisdom and do your best to make us seem inferior in your mind...????

either that or go find another thread to cast your opinion on. there's plenty of political threads you can pipe in on and argue as much as you want. this thread is for posting info for those that want to try it and not for people wanting to start arguments.
well said fellow alumn! this guy should try it, well, maybe he can't afford $10 for 2 cans so he's trying to "repeat that it doesn't work" so that maybe it will be true and he won't have to be jealous that we all have had great success with it.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keisur
well said fellow alumn! this guy should try it, well, maybe he can't afford $10 for 2 cans so he's trying to "repeat that it doesn't work" so that maybe it will be true and he won't have to be jealous that we all have had great success with it.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM

OK, i have been having some valve-train clicking under load, so i decided to try this stuff out, hoping to solve that problem.

i ran about 1/2 the can (a little more that you're supposed to), then let it sit for 5 minutes. then ran another 1/4 can and left it for a few hours. came back, started it up, and it poured out smoke for at least 10+ minutes before i shut it off! i was shocked at the amount of blue/white smoke pouring out . . .

does that smoke ever stop???? i was getting embarrased when people were driving by, slowing down to have a look in the parking lot. it looked like the car was on fire, especially when i upped the throttle a bit!

i wonder if this means i had a lot of carbon buildup, because people have atually reported no smoke at all . . .

anyhow, i'm letting it sit overnight and i'll fire it up again tomorrow . . . maybe even shoot some more through it to really clean it out. i'll test it for any gains then. maybe i'll snap a pic or two of the billowing smoke . . .

creed
Old 08-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Ho boy... not looking foward to seeing what my 86 will spew out
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 PM
AUJWE

The place where I get my oil changed uses this system for fuel system cleaning: Run-Rite I have had them do it once to my truck. It has 52,500 miles on it now. They use the product shown on that page to hook into the vacum line and enter the stuff that way. All the details the folks have been mentioning about the smoking after using Sea Foam is just what mine did after the Run-Rite. They let it idle and smoke for about 5 minutes or so then increased the idle about 500-1000 RPM for a few minutes until it stopped somking. They charge $50 for this service. That's why I have only had them do it once.

This page Run-Rite Multi Step Fuel System Cleaning shows that the Run-Rite system uses four steps:

Step #1 - Fuel System Treatment
Step #2 - Oil System Treatment
Step #3 - Intake Cleaner
Step #4 - Throttle Body Cleaner

I know they don't do Step #4(I do that myself about every 10,000 miles). I'm hoping that they don't do Step #2 b/c it is after they've already changed my oil and I have been reading everyone's comments on here about changing the oil after adding Sea Foam to the crankcase. So, I guess the place I go to charges $50 to do the Step #3 Intake Cleaner and maybe Step #1(Doubt it though). Sounds like I need to find some Sea Foam and save some $$$.

I'm scheduled for an oil-change while I am home next week so I will talk to them and see what they say. When I get done with school in about a year I will be living somewhere that I can change my own oil and all that good stuff. But for now the nice folks at C&M Express Lube & Wash in Mobile, AL, will get my business. Oh yeah, I use the dreaded dino oil too (Pennzoil) but I change it every 3000 miles so I *should* be ok.

Oh yeah, don't ask me about MPG and accleration improvements after the Run-Rite treatment. That was a good while ago. I just drive hard and fill it up when it's empty. My truck gets crappy gas mileage but that is 99% driving habits. My mom borrows my truck sometimes when she is up visiting me and she gets a lot better MPG out of it than I do.

Last edited by AUJWE; 08-02-2004 at 10:42 PM.

Old 08-03-2004, 01:42 AM

I don't know for sure yet, but I think I'm getting worse gas mileage ever since I did this to my truck. I'll have to check and report the definite numbers, but watching my gauge go down, it sure seems to be lowering a lot quicker.

Chris
Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ravencr
I don't know for sure yet, but I think I'm getting worse gas mileage ever since I did this to my truck. I'll have to check and report the definite numbers, but watching my gauge go down, it sure seems to be lowering a lot quicker.

Chris
I've been thinking about that as well.
Here are my thoughts.
More carbon = more compression
More Compression = more power
More power w/out more Gas = more gas mileage?

So if my line of thinking is correct, then
less carbon = lower compression = less power = less gass mileage.

Do you agree, or am I thinking backward or something?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:49 PM

you're right that more carbon = more compression. that's why ping is supposed to decrease after treatment.

but more carbon can also decrease efficiency if the deposition on the valves isn't uniform. and efficiency will definitely be affected if the injectors are clogged.

my first guess at a decrease in MPG following any modification would be along the lines of the "Deckplate Mod Syndrome," aka "Heavy Foot Disorder." if this mod is supposed to create more throttle response, how can you keep yourself from testing it out?

creed
Old 08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
AUJWE

Quick question(s): As long as I add the Sea Foam via the VSC and fuel tank there are no need to do an oil-change following, correct? Is it worth it to use it both of these ways and not add it to the crankcase at the same time? I am thinking about picking up some when I am home and using it those two ways. I am due for an oil change so if I did want to add it to the crankcase how long should I, or shouldn't I, drive with it in there? It's about a 15 minute drive to where I get my oil changed. Thanks.

Joey

One more thing, would doing the intake cleaning cause me to posibly need to replace my spark plugs? I just replaced them about 8,000 miles ago. Sorry for all of my ignorance about this. Like many folks on here I am learning.

Last edited by AUJWE; 08-03-2004 at 11:46 PM.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:10 PM

The only other thing I changed was my oil type, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference since it's still Amsoil. I haven't tested it out for sure, but I'll let everyone know.

Chris
Old 08-04-2004, 04:03 PM

I noticed a few posts mentioning how the smoke after the seafoam treatment could harm the O2 sensors. I just replaced mine ~2k ago and I don't want to ruin them already. What would happen if I just removed them from the exhaust and left them hanging while running the engine after the treatment? Would that cause any problems? My only guess would be too much oxygen in the air, leading the engine to run more lean?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given how far off the readings would be, I don't think the engine will even run... If it did, then the noxious fumes from the opening won't be real good for ya'.

If the engine runs at all, then it'd probably be okay if you run it in a open area, and don't sit _in_ the cabin.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:05 PM

More carbon = more compression
you're right that more carbon = more compression.
No, and no.

seafoam treatment could harm the O2 sensors
Smoke can’t hurt a thermometer encased in a steel capsule.

What would happen if I just removed them from the exhaust and left them hanging while running the engine after the treatment? My only guess would be too much oxygen in the air, leading the engine to run more lean?
Again no. It would run very rich as it would think the engine is cold.

Those proponents sure are quick to jump on my case when they see some rhyme and reason challenging their unsubstantiated backyard alchemy, but nowhere in sight when somebody thinks an O2 measures airflow. :pat:

Oh yeah, I use the dreaded dino oil too (Pennzoil) but I change it every 3000 miles so I *should* be ok
I heard that synthetic helps alternators too, starters, starter contacts, rear axle seals, batteries, steering rack, brake master cylinders, window motors, sagging springs, mufflers and cat converters, and everything else one will actually expect to wear out in a Toyota
Old 08-06-2004, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
No, and no.

Smoke can’t hurt a thermometer encased in a steel capsule.

Again no. It would run very rich as it would think the engine is cold.

Those proponents sure are quick to jump on my case when they see some rhyme and reason challenging their unsubstantiated backyard alchemy, but nowhere in sight when somebody thinks an O2 measures airflow. :pat:

I heard that synthetic helps alternators too, starters, starter contacts, rear axle seals, batteries, steering rack, brake master cylinders, window motors, sagging springs, mufflers and cat converters, and everything else one will actually expect to wear out in a Toyota
I agree with everything you said except the carbon/compression relationship. What is the physical reason behind a reduction in ping after this treatment if your assessment is correct?

creed
Old 08-06-2004, 11:50 PM

I have not seen anyone here actually hook up an ODBII reader and monitor the timing to see if there is indeed less ping. That would be more credible than just hearsay at least.

Seafoam certainly burns something, judging by the impressive amounts of smoke, fouled plugs and ruined oil. I’m just not sure the cause and effect is right here.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RUNR
I have not seen anyone here actually hook up an ODBII reader and monitor the timing to see if there is indeed less ping. That would be more credible than just hearsay at least.
Ummm, burning carbon deposits off the top of the pistons won't affect the timing. Ping is actually predetonation, which means that there's an explosion in the cylinder before the plug actually fires. That explosion happens because the carbon deposits on the pistons retain enough heat to cause the fuel/air mixture to ignite. This is a feature in a diesel engine, but a real problem in a gas engine.

Anyway... Given that Seafoam is burning off the deposits, then you won't see a change in timing... The timing will stay the same, but the ping should stop happening (or be reduced) since the carbon is no longer there holding the heat.

Something viewable through the OBD II interface that may change is LTFT (long term fuel trim) or the Bank 1 O2 reading. This might happen since because the fuel mixture is burning more efficiently, and you might be able to see the ECU working less (via LTFT) to get the engine to run clean.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:08 PM

midi, tell me, how does the computer react when it senses predetonation through the knock sensor?

Quick Reply: Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF