General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rough Idle and Check Engine Light Flashing after Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please Help: Rough Idle and Check Engine Light Flashing after Oil Change

Hey All,

So I recently purchased an '88 manual transmission Toyota Pickup (it's 4x4 with 2.4L engine) and so far it has run great. Until yesterday afternoon a day after changing the oil. As it is a pretty old truck and I'm a new owner I thought I'd go ahead and change out all the fluids as a first step to general maintenance. I started with an oil change. After putting in a new oil filter and 4 quarts of 10W-30 synthetic oil, the truck started fine and drove all day without a problem. The next morning, however, it refused to start. I got out and banged on the starter, cleaned the corrosion off the battery terminals, and added distilled water to the battery. I tried to started it again and after a few painful cranks it started right up! After letting it idle for about 5 minutes, though, the engine started to sputter, a small amount of white smoke came out the tail pipe, and the check engine light began to blink. In an attempt to keep it running I revved the engine, but for some reason it would not rev past about 2000 rpms.

After some research online I am planning on checking the spark plugs but I was wondering if the oil change could have anything to do with this? Let me know any advice y'all have.

Thanks,
Ruger

Last edited by Ruger Pearson; 11-08-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 AM

What engine do you have? Did you throw in enough oil? Use the right kind of filter? Any leaks?
Old 12-18-2016, 02:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The only way the oil change might cause a problem is if you knocked something loose that then came completely apart the next day,

Corrosion on the battery terminals is never a good thing.

As this is a new to you vehicle a good tune up might be a real good idea

Always neglected areas to be caught up the older the truck most times the more to do
Old 12-18-2016, 11:37 AM

It always seems too that when you change out or repair something, something else goes and that needs replacing too. It's a chain reaction when you buy an older truck.