General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rolled 2000 t4r limited :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolled 2000 t4r limited :(

Just rolled my beautiful t4r. I have studs and was going 35 uphill on a straightway in northern AK, went off the road backward and sideways down an embankment, pretty dumb.
Rear passenger door ate a tree and the b pillar is bent, the rest of the damage is windows and body panels. The truck is frozen so it won't start now (-15F and it wasn't plugged in) I'm pretty confident that when I thaw the battery and plug it in it'll start back up.
Options:

1. Try to repair the roof, body, windows, etc. Maybe 4-5k? Just a guess

2. Buy a 3rd gen t4r, taco, or late model T100 and steal my elocker and have a parts rig.

Thoughts?

Any special procedure to start a rolled car?

Thanks.

Sam
Old 11-27-2016, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Usually a roll does so much damage that it is not economically feasible to fix. It throws the structrure off so much it would be expensive and trying to get the doors and body gaps correct is difficult. I would use it as a parts rig. It will have plenty on it.

I would pull the plugs and make sure no oil has gotten into the cylinders before cranking it if it was me before starting.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Thanks. If the plugs are oily any idea what to search to find a writeup or pics of what I gotta do to drain it? Crankcase drain?
Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotaforlife
Thanks. If the plugs are oily any idea what to search to find a writeup or pics of what I gotta do to drain it? Crankcase drain?

You should crank the engine the first time with ALL the plugs removed to insure that it is not hydro-locked with oil.

After you crank a few revs with the plugs out, put em back in and try to start her up.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Pull the plugs and crank if for a few rotations. Then if she fires the engine is gtg. As far as repairing the body that's normally very hard to do after a flop. Maybe check to make sure you frame and running gear is solid and look at doing a body swap. Probably easier to do than a motor, T-case, Diff, etc swap. Just my opinion.

Glad your ok. Stuff like that sucks when it happens. Being able to have the chance to rebuild is a win.

Edit: change the engine oil and filter as well before start up. Seems obvious but figured I would throw it out there.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 12-13-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 AM

just a follow up well after the fact. i ended up topping off the fluids, swapping the soaked airfilter, turning the engine and pulled a few sparkplugs. then once it thawed out one "warm" day I gave her a rip. started right up, no new sounds, runs fine. as far as body damage rear passenger door is cut off and that b pillar has seen better days, everything else seems straight aside from body panels and glass. drives fine around the parking lot but it blew a ton of smoke initially, it has since decreased smoking. i've probably ran it for total of an hour or two since then, revved it pretty good a few times to see if anything pops. will probably pull the engine to swap into my new 4runner that developed a head/coolant issue. still considering what to do about the body. my latest idea is to cut off a pickup bed and put a roll bar behind the front compartment with a canvas rear topper. but first an engine swap. thanks for all the pointers