YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

oil additive to swell seals

I've never been able to find any additives on the shelf that swell the valve seals. What am I supposed to look for? Oils made specially for older, high-mileage engines? Or is there a specific additive you guys recommend?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #2

that is a temporary fix at best.

I think you look for that oil additive stuff that is guaranteed to pass your emission test-then the next oil change you are right back where you started.....
O/M/E shocks- N91s fr/N86 rr
All Pro Off Road welded on sliders
ARB"Taco"bumper/Hella 500s & side markers
Redline Tuning hood struts/Bushwackers
2" 4crawler.com body lift
all my Yota photos are over on Facebook now
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731
Ron Helmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth View Post
I hear this so many times on this forum. What people don't realize is that it gets -20 degrees here in Colorado and changing seals in this cold is not fun. So for now it has to be a temporary fix until the weather permits the work to be carried out.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to airmen65 Send a message via MSN to airmen65 Send a message via Yahoo to airmen65
ahhh if only we all could have heated shops. . lol.

Yoter: 1985 Toyota, 4x4, 22R, 5-speed, 32/36 Weber, Taurus electic fan, solid axle, ~2" shackle lift, 3" lift springs but they are sagging, 2" block lift in the rear, 33x12.5" Hancook Dynapro MT's, stock gears, Daily Driver. Over 250,000 miles. New rebuilt motor. 6" drivin lights, heavy duty bumper from http://kenmtn.com/html/wincher.asp. Aussie locked in the rear!!!
airmen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #5

understood DupermanDave

good point
O/M/E shocks- N91s fr/N86 rr
All Pro Off Road welded on sliders
ARB"Taco"bumper/Hella 500s & side markers
Redline Tuning hood struts/Bushwackers
2" 4crawler.com body lift
all my Yota photos are over on Facebook now
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731
Ron Helmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to EvaMonky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
I've never been able to find any additives on the shelf that swell the valve seals. What am I supposed to look for? Oils made specially for older, high-mileage engines? Or is there a specific additive you guys recommend?
Oil leak fix additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth View Post

I think you look for that oil additive stuff that is guaranteed to pass your emission test-then the next oil change you are right back where you started.....
That stuff you put in your gas tank. There is nothing that is going to help you pass an emissions test by putting it in your oil....

They test your exaust for unburned Hydrocarbons. Not your Oil for fumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
I hear this so many times on this forum. What people don't realize is that it gets -20 degrees here in Colorado and changing seals in this cold is not fun. So for now it has to be a temporary fix until the weather permits the work to be carried out.
Because so many times people want the easy way out. People are naturally lazy! Some actually belive it's a permament fix.

Changing out seals in that weather may not be fun. That's why you pay someone else to do it!

There's really no guarentee that any of that crap will work anyways... You could just be throwing your money down a burning pit. .
Old 12-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaMonky View Post
Oil leak fix additives.

That stuff you put in your gas tank. There is nothing that is going to help you pass an emissions test by putting it in your oil....

They test your exaust for unburned Hydrocarbons. Not your Oil for fumes.

Because so many times people want the easy way out. People are naturally lazy! Some actually belive it's a permament fix.

Changing out seals in that weather may not be fun. That's why you pay someone else to do it!

There's really no guarentee that any of that crap will work anyways... You could just be throwing your money down a burning pit. .
Wal-mart has an oil additive that promises to stop smoking and burning oil and it also states it will help pass emissions. I'll try and snag a picture when I go to that wal-mart.

Even a garage with a space heater isn't good enough for winter truck repair. Winter sucks.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
additive, additives, due, emission, fix, high, leaky, mileage, oil, pass, put, seal, seals, swell, temporary, testing