General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

OBD II to PC readout

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II to PC readout

I posted this on a local forum, and will post in the computer related forum as well.

Anyone know of a OBD II to PC program that gives readouts like the Scan Gauge II? I am thinking about building a console to house a CB, Police Scanner and my iPOD. I would also like to incorporate either a SGII, or build a bracket for my laptop to give temperatures (engine, trans) and fuel consumption. I can incorporate the SGII into the console, but I would rather have my comp because then I can get a GPS antenna and run GPS software.

All of that to ask the original question, does anyone know of software like that?

Thanks,
Hayes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this the kind of thing you are after?

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/BR-3/
Old 02-05-2010, 06:14 AM

that's the OBD II reader part, but not the real time readouts. I want to see on my monitor what the temps are and the MPG like you can with the Scan Gauge II.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayes
that's the OBD II reader part, but not the real time readouts. I want to see on my monitor what the temps are and the MPG like you can with the Scan Gauge II.
The BR3 does what you're talking about, the software that comes with it has a "gauge view" that will show things like coolant temp, fuel trims, etc. It updates about once a second, depending on how many things you're reading. A company called Innovate Motorsports also makes a wireless OBD-II interface that you can hook up to your laptop: OT-2: OBD-II/CAN WiFi Interface

A somewhat slicker option similar to the scangauge would be the PLX DM-200 OBD which is a standard size gauge that plugs into your OBD-II port and can display anything in the OBD-II data.

Last edited by mastacox; 02-05-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM

That's cool, but I can mount the SG2 just as well as I could mount that. I want to use my laptop so that I can use if for GPS as well... allow feed to the radio, for music storage and the like.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The BR3 software does run on your laptop, the gauge view displays on your PC screen.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
The BR3 does what you're talking about, the software that comes with it has a "gauge view" that will show things like coolant temp, fuel trims, etc. It updates about once a second, depending on how many things you're reading. A company called Innovate Motorsports also makes a wireless OBD-II interface that you can hook up to your laptop: OT-2: OBD-II/CAN WiFi Interface

I missed the first part of your post

A somewhat slicker option similar to the scangauge would be the PLX DM-200 OBD which is a standard size gauge that plugs into your OBD-II port and can display anything in the OBD-II data.
Originally Posted by mt_goat
The BR3 software does run on your laptop, the gauge view displays on your PC screen.

I'll look into the BR3, it looks like I what I need.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM

also might want to loook at AutoEnginuity I got it for my turd ummm...Ford

Most of the guy's I know with diesels use this because of its capabilities, my yota is not OBD-II so I cant tell you how well it dose on your model truck if someone wants to let me play on there ecu for a min I will report back but on my 6.0L I can read codes, engage fans, turbo, pull the amount of torque the motor is putting out, tell me the engine oil temp, shut down injectors, cycle the solenoids in the transmission.... and so on and on and on it will also record what the sensors in the truck are telling the ecu for further review

dont just trust me search AutoEnginuity on thedieselgarage.com good luck just want you to have options for it...

Last edited by trip; 02-21-2010 at 07:42 PM.