General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Never hawk pads!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never hawk pads!!!

Just a heads up, ordered some hawk pads in advance for a brake job I needed to do very quickly. the outside pads where visually thicker than the inside ones, they did not fit even without the shims. I would warn agains anyone buying hawk pads anymore, looks like QC is out the window. Now I have to buy some NAPA's because toyota doesn't have any OEM's in stock.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:23 AM

There's a reason I use nothing but TOYOTA parts.

We love our Toyota trucks. The thing which makes them great is Toyota engineers designed the parts which make them great.

The truck is a sum of its parts. If we rebuild them with non-Toyota parts....then they are no longer Toyotas.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Potomacduck
There's a reason I use nothing but TOYOTA parts.

We love our Toyota trucks. The thing which makes them great is Toyota engineers designed the parts which make them great.

The truck is a sum of its parts. If we rebuild them with non-Toyota parts....then they are no longer Toyotas.
I have never used Hawk pads, only OEM. I do agree that Quality Control has become more of an afterthought for some aftermarket brands.

I agree with potomacduck.

I almost always use OEM Toyota parts where ever possible (money permitting). I would rather wait for OEM parts to arrive then trying to make aftermarket parts work (which can get frustrating).

However, when you need to fix something NOW, you have to use what ever works!

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I have never used Hawk pads, only OEM. I do agree that Quality Control has become more of an afterthought for some aftermarket brands.

I agree with potomacduck.

I almost always use OEM Toyota parts where ever possible (money permitting). I would rather wait for OEM parts to arrive then trying to make aftermarket parts work (which can get frustrating).

However, when you need to fix something NOW, you have to use what ever works!

Good luck!

I am a huge oem fan. Do they offer remanf. calipers? The Napa ones I got leak from the bleeders and centric parts doesn't have a local dealer. $350 a pop for new calipers from toyota, hard to justify.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Should be possible to get kits and rebuild the calipers yourself.

I remember that when I overhauled the calipers on one of my International Harvesters, some years ago, the rubber parts were dirt cheap. Just o-rings, seal rings, and boots.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by gotduhka
I am a huge oem fan. Do they offer remanf. calipers? The Napa ones I got leak from the bleeders and centric parts doesn't have a local dealer. $350 a pop for new calipers from toyota, hard to justify.
Toyota does offer remanufactured calipers, or at least for my 1987 2wd. When I overhauled my brake system, I was going to get new OEM calipers but, as you found out, are pretty expensive. I ended up getting remanufactured calipers from the dealer which is much cheaper than new.

So far, I haven't had any problems with my remanufactured parts through the dealer.

Or you could rebuild them yourself. It is up to you.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Was your box sealed in plastic when you received it ??

Any more you have a bunch of people picking parts that to them it is just a number drop two boxes of pads on the floor brake pads all over .

Put 4 pads in each box and be done

Parts get packed wrong all the time.

Like in my case I bought a case of oil filters from Toyota sealed case one of the filters had the threads cut on a angle so the filter would not seal.

No more Toyota Filters for me it seems there quality control is slipping

Maybe I should rethink this whole Toyota thing with these bad frames on Tacoma`s and Tundra`s