General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Need thoughts on 02 Taco purchase

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need thoughts on 02 Taco purchase

So, I'm in the market for a used Taco and went and looked at one today but I'm a little unsure and was looking for some opinions.

It's a 02 Taco auto,crew cab, 4wd with just over 92k on it. It's from Quebec. The body is straight, has an ARB front bumper, roof rack, and on the test drive it was super nice. Everything felt good, 4wd worked no problem, shifting was smooth, no noises. Felt really good. Now, the only things that are holding me back on the purchase is this. #1 it's from Quebec, and only from heresay, sometimes thats not a good idea. #2 lots of rust on the frame (which I hear is because of the salt from the winters there) #3 CEL is on with 2 codes. One is 02 sensor and the other is some EVAP code (no big deal reall, I can easily handle those) #4 Both boots on the CV axles are torn.

So the price is really good on this truck. Actually just over 3k UNDER what it should be. The guy at the lot, which is not one of those rinky corner type, doesnt know much about it because they are selling it on consignment so it's pretty much, what you see is what you get. He did say he would drop 300 off the price because of the sensor and axles but I'm still feeling weary. I'll be 100% financing this for 5 years. With the condition of the underside and then having to do some repairs, I don't know if it's worth it.

Any thoughts guys? There are 4 other people interested in this truck, the lot is closed tomorrow, so I've got a little time to hash things over.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You might get lucky !!

If you can keep it out of the salt

Then just how bad is the frame ??

3.4 ?coming up on thinking about a timing belt

Is this needed work something you can do your self??

Most times I put another $1000.00 or so in parts catching up on neglected maintenance.

Paying labor gets real expensive fast
Old 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Living here in the hot, dry southwest, most folks won't look twice at anything with the slightest rust.

I guess people in other parts of the country can't be so picky.

Around here you might well find a rust-free frame to put under it, but thats a lot of work.

The rust would sure be a deal breaker for me. A rusty truck is just parts.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:29 AM

Here rust is just part of living here .

Seized Bolts never needing to worry about things coming loose just getting things apart

That year Tacoma is in the bad frame era just a question of when
Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm going to revive this just because I'm still looking and as things pop up, I may be reaching out you guys for your thoughts.

I passed on the 1st one. Alot of things just didn't feel right with that one.

Now today: Went and looked at an '02, again crewcab, 4x4, auto. This one has 199,000 on it, 1 original owner with all service records available, the dealer replaced timing belt, water pump and brakes. I haven't driven it yet but looking it over, it's in pretty good shape. With having just under 200k on it I'm somewhat hesitant on putting an offer on it but at the same time, with what the dealer has just done maintenance-wise, I could be easily good for another 100k.

Any input?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM

My 2000 Tacoma 3.4 is past 200,000 miles .

Thing is one just never knows with mechanical things.

You can`t just jump in a drive maintenance does need to be it comes down to if you need to pay labor or can do most of your own work.

200,000 miles remember your more then looking at a timing belt .

Suspension work Lower Ball Joints !!

Rear springs flat time for new

You just have to go with the instinct that made you pass the first one.

Try not to be over come With the new vehicle lust it happens to all of us.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
My 96 tacoma has almost 240k on it now, been a solid machine so far with a few small issues, I paid $2k for it from a private party. Frame rust is a bit of a deal killer, but it depends on the "type" of rust. Surface rust isn't a big deal, stick your finger in the frame holes (rubber plugs pull out), and check for rust buildup on the INSIDE. Right around the area where the cab and box meet is where they generally rust out the worst. I've seen a few trucks where the frame looked ok from the outside, but tapping around with screw driver and you can poke right though the bottom side of the frame and it's full of dirt and rust.

Good luck on your search. I've personally haven't had much luck working with dealers, always seem to get the bad end of the stick every time. So many of them are trying to cover something up it seems like, like one 2002 tacoma I looked at had low miles and the frame was repainted with bed liner. I notice a spot that looked weird, and it was just tape covering a huge rust hole. Oddly the body was basically perfect, frame was junk.