General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

NEED Reverse/BackUp Switch HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED Reverse/BackUp Switch HELP

I have been working on my '86 4Runner to get it ready for Va inspection and now all I have left to do is fix the horn and reverse lights. I have done a search for both of these problems and have found great info. but I still need more help concerning the reverse/backup light swith on the transmission.

Question: Are there two different switches; one for a manual transmission and one for an automatic transmission? When I have done a search forthe reverse/backup switch some say it is around $25.00, but when I have gone to Autozone or Advance Auto they tell me it is $189.00.

I bet there are two different switches and I don't want to believe it because I don't want to pay $200.00 for a switch. Bummer.

What I've done:
1. Replace both front axles (That was a job. I was in way over my head, but had help. Thank God.)
2. Replaced both front rotors, brake calipers, and brake pads.
3. Inner and outer bearings.
4. One manual locking hub because the spring had broke & I couldn't find another spring to replace it ($180.00).
5. O-ring at the base of the brake master cylinder reservoir.

All right this is long enough.
Peace.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have the auto or manual? There are 2 different parts for sure. I replaced the automatic NSS a year ago. I was pricey!! and to top it off that one only worked for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:21 AM

I have an Auto 87 22re. My reverse lights only work when they feel like which is rarely. I was wandering, where is the switch? So I can either clean it or replace it? Anyone?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

On the 3.0 it is bolted on the side of the transmission.

Yes you can replace it.

it is pricey, so make sure that is the problem.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:34 PM

A340h Transmission

Yup, I have an automatic transmission that has, as far as I know, around 289,000 miles on it. I haven't had a chance to check the Park Neutral Position Switch yet, but hope to tomorrow morning to determine if that is the cause of my reverse lights not working. The PNP Swich is pricey at $170.00 to $246.00 I had to pick my lower jaw up off the floor.

Gohawks, what did you do when the one you bought died after a couple of weeks...get another one!? Were you able to return it for a refund or exchange it?
Peace.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 PM

Park Neutral Position Switch Picture

Here, http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...msTruck048.jpg, is a picture of the (PNP) Park Neutral Position Switch on the driver's side of my a340H transmission. You can see the bolt that holds it onto the transmission and the wires that hook into it. I tried to get the best pic I could at 10PM with 30 degree temps.

I first thought it was called a "Reverse Switch," then I saw it referred to as a "Backup Switch," and finally when I called the local Toyota Dealership to price the part the guy said it was a "Park Neutral Position Switch."

Hope that helps newjerseyredneck.
Peace.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Gohawks, what did you do when the one you bought died after a couple of weeks...get another one!? Were you able to return it for a refund or exchange it?
I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $125. They price matched a deal I found online with Autozone maybe?? Not sure. It is not a OEM part, those are way big $$$.

Anyway I haven't done anything right now. It does have a LIFETIME warranty. It has been too cold to mess with it. There is an adjustment to the Neutral Safety Switch. I may investigate if it is out of adjustment. If not I'm gonna try replacing it again.

I just question whether there isn't something else electrical going on for me. Going through the previous owner's receipts I saw where he had the switch replaced not too far back. However he replaced it with a used part (he paid $125 as well) so it is possible that his used part crapped out and my remanufactured part crapped out.

Oh yeah, one thing to check is if the vehicle starts in any other gear other than park and neutral (the switch controls this as well as the backup lights). I have never tried it in gear but I do know that my truck DOES NOT start in neutral. That leads me to believe it may be out of adjustment.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:18 PM

I got one for ya. My 87 auto reverse lights stoped working. But when I hook the trailer on to it and start backing down to the water they seem to work most of the time. I'm thingking, is that a grounding problem? Maybey My reverse lights are only getting the ground they need frome the trailer????
Old 02-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Just scroled up and saw your picture AaronW. Actualy climed under there today and took a good look at what I thought it might be, but it was so covered in old oil I couldn't realy tell. Soo....YESS! That picture helps tremendously! thanx alot
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 AM

Glad to help ya out

Gohawks, thanks for the tip about starting in other gears to test the switch. I'll have to try that this morning. Also, NewJerseyRedneck I am glad that I could help ya out a little with the pic.

I know nothing about electrical wiring, so I can't confirm whether you have a bad ground or not.
Peace.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:16 PM

OK, looked at it briefly tonight while it was dark out. My reverse lights do come on when I jack with the shifter (automatic) a bit. The "PNP" switch is actualy triggerd and they come on when the shifters between the Park and Reverse. Like... If I shove the stick forward towards park. the light comes on. So. My guess is I need to get under there, and ajust the thing? One way or another. I don't know. I'll play with it when its not so darn cold out. Anyway..Thankyou guys so much for all of your help. Ive learned so much about my truck from this site and have saved tones of $ because of people like you. I'll up date, as soon as theres a break in the weather.
Bryan