General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Mixing Advance Auto Univeral Coolant with Toyota Red?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing Advance Auto Univeral Coolant with Toyota Red?

After my recent successful timing belt/WP change, I was more than happy to help a buddy with his this weekend. When we put everthing back together, we had picked up some Advance Auto Universal Coolant. It says that it will mix with any brand/type of coolant. My suggestion was, if he wanted to use it, do a complete flush and then use the AA coolant. I am assuming that the AA coolant is somewhat like a Dex-cool. Well, he mixed it anyway. Any thoughts?

Also, here is a .pdf file on Advance Auto's website about the coolant.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...20brochure.pdf

It says in several places that it can mix with anything. Oh well, at least it's not my water pump we'll be changing in a year.

Last edited by VA_Yotaman; 02-20-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:54 PM

Personnaly, I won't even mix brands of motor oil. Everyone uses different additives, and who knows how they could react together. So the same would apply to coolant for me.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by VA_Yotaman
After my recent successful timing belt/WP change, I was more than happy to help a buddy with his this weekend. When we put everthing back together, we had picked up some Advance Auto Universal Coolant. It says that it will mix with any brand/type of coolant. My suggestion was, if he wanted to use it, do a complete flush and then use the AA coolant. I am assuming that the AA coolant is somewhat like a Dex-cool. Well, he mixed it anyway. Any thoughts?

Also, here is a .pdf file on Advance Auto's website about the coolant.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...20brochure.pdf

It says in several places that it can mix with anything. Oh well, at least it's not my water pump we'll be changing in a year.
I don't think he is going to hurt anything. After a H2O pump change he should only have about 15-20% red left in the system. From what I was told the Advance anti-freeze is made by prestone. I can not confirm nor deny this.

I used this anti freeze in my civic (wich was changed to dex-cool) and topped off with adv anti-freeze and saw no ill effects. except dex-cool sucks. it is crystalizing in my cooling system(but that is another story).

I think he'll be fine.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DO NOT MIX ANYTHING WITH DEXCOOL OTHER THAN DISTILLED WATER.

The entire cooling system in my Impala is %$%$%(* due to dexcool.