YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Masking Curves?

So I've been reading tons of threads on using DIY bedliner all over trucks but I can't seem to find an answer to how I can mask a two or three inch strip above my wheel wells? I plan to use Duplicolor bed liner since its the only one I can find around town in a spray can.

I'm not looking for a show finish, just trying to keep the sand and salt from eating my rocker panels. I want the strip above my wheel well to match the curve of the wheel well itself.

So any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
limon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #2

Use several strips of narrow tape and build up width. Using a wider tape won't allow you to follow the curve as well.

Retired: 1991 4Runner, 3.4 5VZFE swap, OME suspension, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Pioneer head unit, JL Audio amplifier, Pioneer and Infinity speakers, XM Satellite radio
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to bain
use painters tape( from auto body store). It curves easy. and start taping at the lip of the fender working your way out to the desired thickness..that way you will match the curve perfect.

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.
bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #4

Use a thin strip of painters tape.

LEad your direction with the roll and depress it with your other hand right behind.... i wish i could find a youtube to explain

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

algranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #5

Ah here we are

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ok so maybe your not doing flames on your yota but you can use a thin tape to start a curve using this technique then have a little room for imperfection as you add your normal thickness of tape.

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

algranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Threadstarter [OP]

Awsome replies! I really appreciate all of them. I know I was asking about wheel wells but after watching that flame video the sky is the limit!
limon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
auto, automobile, automotive, cars, curve, curves, masking, painter, painters, tape, taping, tips