General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

I want a Windows tint on my T4R.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a Windows tint on my T4R.

Summer is here..Vancouver (BC, Canada) having a good weather lately..I was thinkin, I want have a windows tinted. My car dealer even told me I can have limo tint (all but except front windows)...I wanted to have the front window tinted but I don't wanna risk about ticket & find. so no front window tint.

Daytime is no problem to see outside cuz bright enough.
Anyway I want put more daker tint but not too much..cuz At night I want see outside for checking blind-spots.
Here's my question..

1. how much tint do you think safe enough to have it on all the time? Rear side & back window. How much % of tint are legal?
2. Do you know best window tint companies?
3. How much do I have to pay?
4. what brand of name tint films are best?
5. what are the window's tint law in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

thx for reading this.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 PM

Not in B.C. but I just got an estimate to put tint on 3 windows. The rear tailgate window, the drivers window and the passenger window. The rear side windows already have tint on them.

The tailgate window also has tint on it but it's torn and they have to remove it. The price for the 3 windows was $175 and $25 extra to removed the tint on the back.

I know here is the U.S. every state has it's own laws about tint. In California, you can't have any tint, no matter how light it is. Here in Oregon, they don't have a law against tint.

Almost every place here offer a lifetime warranty on the tint and the labor. But of course a warranty is only good as long as the company is in business. These tint companies seem to come and go very often.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankjake
I know here is the U.S. every state has it's own laws about tint. In California, you can't have any tint, no matter how light it is. Here in Oregon, they don't have a law against tint.
Not true. Misinformation. Hope nobody searches in this thread.
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

In BC: MVA Regs 7.05(8) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on
(a) the windshield but not more than 75 mm below the top of the windshield
(b) a side window that is behind the driver, or
(c) the rear window if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right side of the motor vehicle.
But to answer the question..I've heard very good things, and have been happy with SolarGuard tint. Just look for a shop with a good warranty.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Just to rub it in,

I got my whole 4runner done in 5%, Lexus dealer tint for $110... and the guy came to my house to do it.

Last edited by msw0085; 06-28-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 PM

i'd use llumar film or at least make sure the installers use that...as long as you own the car, you can have it replaced if it fades or whatever for free at any llumar dealer...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

llumar is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, madico is OK too
Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got 20% done on the five rear windows and 50% done on my two front side windows. It cost $200 or so for all windows.

I would say with Limo tint (5%), you'd have a hard time seeing anything through the windows at night time. 20% is probably a good overall tint to use. Keeps it pretty dark during the day, but you can still see ok at night.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 AM

Not sure on the % of legal tint. I would just goto aut parts store and buy a good quality tint and put it on myself. While I am not the best mechanic I am fairly good at tint.

The trick is to get your window PERFECTLY clean.
use razor blades and good window cleaner.
pay special attention to the corners and edges.
Once the window is clean.
fill a spray bottle with water and few drops of dish soap.
wet the outside of the window and lay the tint on the window and use a SHARP razor
to cut the film to the size needed.
Once the film is cut to size.
then use scotch tape to seperate the two sides of the tint.
Then spray the inside of the window generously with the soap and water
lay the tint on the window and position it.
once you have it in position.
use a squeegy to remove the wrinkles and work the water out.
start in the center and work outwards.

It really isnt that hard on regular windows..its harder with the defrost wires and the windshield because of the mirror but other than that its pretty easy.

spend 20 bucks on film and give it a shot...if it doesnt work out you are out 20 bucks

my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:51 AM

When I got the 4Runner, it came with some super dark tint, to the point where if there isn't too much ambient light out at night, I have to roll down the rear window to see where I am going when I back up. This tint is also used on the rear passenger door windows, and the back side windows. I don't have any tint on the front or side front windows, as per B.C. regulations. I don't know what they are here in Alberta, but considering I live here now it might be something to look into. I have been hassled by the 5-0 once before because one of my license plate lights is burnt out. Apparently blue letters on a white reflective background is hard to see, (bc plates) but i digress. They actually asked me if I have anyone in the back seat, because they couldn't see through the tint. I really do dig it though, because you can't see anything in the truck area of the truck. It definitely made me feel a little better when I had a pair of 10"s back there...
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Just use black spray paint

Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 AM

I got 5% all the way except on the front windsheld, i like it during the day but at night its a tough time, relly bad when im wheeling at night.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
I got 20% done on the five rear windows and 50% done on my two front side windows. It cost $200 or so for all windows.

I would say with Limo tint (5%), you'd have a hard time seeing anything through the windows at night time. 20% is probably a good overall tint to use. Keeps it pretty dark during the day, but you can still see ok at night.
So you did the 20% tinted....how's at nite time? Can u see well at nite?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Just use black spray paint

I knew that joke come out soon or later...lol
Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Firefightertaco
I got 5% all the way except on the front windsheld, i like it during the day but at night its a tough time, relly bad when im wheeling at night.
I thought about limo tint (5%)...but I don't want to have hard time at nite. so I was thinkin about to have a 20~30% tint...Only rear side and back window.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
When I got the 4Runner, it came with some super dark tint, to the point where if there isn't too much ambient light out at night, I have to roll down the rear window to see where I am going when I back up. This tint is also used on the rear passenger door windows, and the back side windows. I don't have any tint on the front or side front windows, as per B.C. regulations. I don't know what they are here in Alberta, but considering I live here now it might be something to look into. I have been hassled by the 5-0 once before because one of my license plate lights is burnt out. Apparently blue letters on a white reflective background is hard to see, (bc plates) but i digress. They actually asked me if I have anyone in the back seat, because they couldn't see through the tint. I really do dig it though, because you can't see anything in the truck area of the truck. It definitely made me feel a little better when I had a pair of 10"s back there...
My dealer even suggest that install the backup obstical(sp?) detector..that is my future mod..anyway. hehe~ but no limo tint on my car.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

at night the hardest times to see are:
1. when you are making a left turn @ an intersection and have to judge distance against the median.

2. Backing out of a driveway into a narrow street
Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have suntek window film and I love it. All the legal limit here. Looks really good too
Old 06-30-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkool
So you did the 20% tinted....how's at nite time? Can u see well at nite?
It's pretty good. The worst I've seen is trying to back out of a spot in a very dark underground parking garage.
Around the city it's good, because you can see lights through it pretty well. I haven't been out driving in the woods at night or anything, so I can't say how that would be, but overall, I have absolutely no regrets about choosing 20%.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:35 AM

Hey mkool;

I'm from Van city!! I got all my windows done for 200$$ all rear windows, Sunroof, and and eye-brow.. Got them done at Street Legal Tint..

As for being legal you can tint all the rear windows behind the front seats as much as you want!!

example; I put 5% over the 4Runner stock privacy glass!!

If you have any questions about the tint or anything else either PM me, or you could just call me 318-9944

Jesse
Old 06-30-2006, 07:25 PM

yeah, Gapguy, you were right, misinformation all around.

For those interested in the OREGON LAW on window tinting, read below:

815.221 Tinting; authorized and prohibited materials; certificate. (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person may apply tinting material to the windows of a motor vehicle in compliance with this section.

(2) Tinting material may be applied to the side and rear windows of a motor vehicle if:

(a) The tinting material has a light transmittance of 50 percent or more;

(b) The tinting material has a light reflectance of 13 percent or less; and

(c) The total light transmittance through the window with the tinting material applied is 35 percent or more.

(3) Tinting material that has a lower light transmittance or produces a lower total light transmittance than permitted in subsection (2)(a) and (c) of this section may be applied to the top six inches of a windshield. Tinting material may not be applied to any other portion of the windshield.

(4) Tinting material that has a lower light transmittance or produces a lower total light transmittance than permitted in subsection (2)(a) and (c) of this section may be applied to all windows of a multipurpose passenger vehicle that are behind the driver. This subsection applies only to vehicles that are equipped with rearview mirrors on each side of the vehicle. The windows as tinted shall meet the requirements for AS-3 glazing material established by federal regulation. For purposes of this subsection, a “multipurpose passenger vehicle” is a motor vehicle with motive power that is designed to carry 10 or fewer persons and is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

(5) Tinting material that has a lower light transmittance or produces a lower total light transmittance than permitted in subsection (2)(a) and (c) of this section may be applied to the side and rear windows of a vehicle registered in the name of a person, or the person’s legal guardian, if the person has an affidavit signed by a validly licensed physician or optometrist stating that the person has a physical condition requiring window tinting that produces a lower light transmittance than allowed by this section. The affidavit required by this subsection shall be kept in the vehicle and shall be shown to a police officer who inquires about the tint.

Other stuff removed for brevity, and the penality...

815.222 Illegal window tinting; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of illegal window tinting if the person applies window tinting material that does not comply with ORS 815.221 or applies window tinting material to a window of a motor vehicle that is not authorized by ORS 815.221 to be equipped with window tinting material.

(2) A person commits the offense of operating a vehicle with illegal window tinting if the person operates a vehicle registered or required to be registered in Oregon that is equipped with window tinting material that is not in compliance with or authorized by ORS 815.221.

(3) Each offense described in this section is a Class B traffic violation. [1995 c.263 §3]

Last edited by sswearin1; 06-30-2006 at 07:26 PM.