General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

how to remove light bush scratches in paint.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to remove light bush scratches in paint.

what product do you guys use to remove scratches that occur? i hate how the truck is scratched to hell. their just light scratches in the clear coat if these trucks ever came with clear coat.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Wash with liquid dishwashing detergent to remove wax.
Clay Bar.
Polish.
Work on scratches.
Wax.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good buffer and compound will do wonders
Old 03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude I use this stuff called TR3 , It works great , and its cheap
.http://www.midwayautosupply.com/imag...ge/TR3-12A.jpg
Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Meguiar's

Try scratch-X from Meguiar's, it eliminates oxidation and fills in chips n' scratches.

On a side note, their interior detailer is nice too and not oily like Armor All.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM

i need to buy a proper buffer i , i used some turtle wax polisher for black vehicles and that did nothing.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Buffing is for wax

The tube of Scratch-X is supposed to be applied by hand. Depending on your paint, if you don't cover it with a wax then it could oxidize after a couple of weeks.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

moved from Misc Stuff (Members Classifieds). lol

I tried that that Scratch-X and wasn't all that impressed, initially I was but over time it seemed to make some scratches look worse...and I waxed it.
I'll try something else when spring comes.

Last edited by rocket; 03-30-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 PM

Depending on how serious you could go to a paint shop and look a a new clear coat. i don't know price but more than trying some of the other products, i tried to wax mine out didn;t work so now i just don;t worry, my trucks always dirty though.

Profile quote
Originally Posted by gary96360
They should make quick disconnect heads that come off at the flip of a lever...new headgaskets every oil change!!.
I have taken my head off so many times that i can replace a HG easier than i can get my fat wrist down to take a dang oil filter off.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM

buffing is not just for wax you can do wonders with a buffer and some practice. as for your 93 i do not know if it came with factory basecoat/clearcoat or if it was a singlestage. you need to get a quality buffer,maybe you can rent one, with a variety of buffing pads and some good buffing compounds. i use a big angle grinder with a wool pad for hardcore buffing, the cheap things they call buffers at parts stores aren't worth a dime. using a buffer and compound is like using super fine liquid sandpaper to polish the surface. you start with a coarser compound and work your way up and finish with a high quality wax, i use Meguiar's Gold Class and apply it with a pad on an electric sander. if you decide to go this route be careful because the clearcoat on Toyotas is really thin. you could check with some local detail shops or body shops and see if they would do it for you. buffing is a skill and it takes awhile to get good at it but your truck looks white so you have that going for you. white is the easiest color to buff and black is an absolute nightmare. any questions just ask. good luck

Last edited by wheatus; 04-12-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by wheatus
buffing is not just for wax you can do wonders with a buffer and some practice. as for your 93 i do not know if it came with factory basecoat/clearcoat or if it was a singlestage. you need to get a quality buffer,maybe you can rent one, with a variety of buffing pads and some good buffing compounds. i use a big angle grinder with a wool pad for hardcore buffing, the cheap things they call buffers at parts stores aren't worth a dime. using a buffer and compound is like using super fine liquid sandpaper to polish the surface. you start with a coarser compound and work your way up and finish with a high quality wax, i use Meguiar's Gold Class and apply it with a pad on an electric sander. if you decide to go this route be careful because the clearcoat on Toyotas is really thin. you could check with some local detail shops or body shops and see if they would do it for you. buffing is a skill and it takes awhile to get good at it but your truck looks white so you have that going for you. white is the easiest color to buff and black is an absolute nightmare. any questions just ask. good luck
hehhe my yota is black
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get used to it man, if you ever wheel it you will get scratches. I gave up long ago fixing my scratches. It looks like my runner got in a fight with a cat and the cat won.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 PM

I used the Meguiars "Deep Crystal System" to clean up the paint on an old RX-7 and the results were outright amazing. It's a three-step setup, the last step is when you apply the wax.

The Scratch-X product is probably similar.

Toss that Turtle Wax in the trash, IMO. Just about any other brand of car wash/wax is going to be better.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM

I would have to agree with crolison, when ever you wheel hard, scratches just tends to happen. Think of them as beauty marks. I would just get some touch up paint and use it on scratches that go to the metal. It will prevent the rust.

Wheatus is spot on with explination on the buffers, and how to use them. I worked in a detail shop, and it takes a good amount of practice to not burn through the clear coat and to end up with a good finish. With it being black you might end up with swirl marks, which i think looks worse then beauty marks. I use blue coral products, they seem to work great. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM

i checked out the Meguiar's and it seems to just be a hand glaze and not going to be your total answer. i have always used 3M compounds and pads but i am sure the Meguiar's compounds are excellent. i am a huge fan of their waxes, turtle wax is ok but i am too lazy for that. polishing and waxing is preventative maintanence for your paint. if you get the scratches out of it and a good wax on it will be more resistant to scratching and easier to fix if it gets scratched.