General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

How do you tear down the outer CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you tear down the outer CV joint?

I'm in the process of rebuilding one of the half shafts and was able to successfully remove the inner cv joint (tripod) but not the outer cv joint (ball bearings). I have no clue on how to get the axle off w/o literally using the BFH and breaking it. Does anyone have any experience on successfully disassembling the outer cv joint?

Suggestions? I know there's clip on the end of the axle that needs to be popped off but hell it's inside the joint itself so I have no access to it.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Just to make sure it still works, I tried the search feature...

https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=1304558
Old 12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. What I'm looking for is how to disassemble the outer cv joint from the axle itself. I was able to remove the inner cv joint's tripod by following the directions per the FSM but apparently there's no real documentation on how to tear down the outer cv joint and the axle itself. Since I know there's a pin/clip attached at the end of the axle I have no way of accessing it. The dang ball bearings get in the way and the outer one has the the stud so I'm fresh out of creative ideas.

Outside of using a press to get the sucker apart I was hoping someone might have some suggestions.

Edit:
And yes, the search didn't find anything of any use for me since most were discussing removal of the half shaft or boot replacement. I'm looking for something more detailed in the tear down of the actual joint itself.

Last edited by Good Times; 12-13-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't. The outers aren't meant to be disassembled and rebuilt. I just try to squish out as much of the grease as possible and then squish in 80% of the new CV lube. If it's still clean inside I wouldn't even try spraying cleaning stuff in there.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

The thing is, with the LT kit, I need a complete spare half shaft on hand just in case I break something. I have a stock half shaft and the new longer axle that I need to swap out but can't do the outer so thus the problem. I guess I'll just ask TC on how they did it since they did it to two of mine on the 4runner.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the outer joint should come off much like a birfield does on a solid axle rig, get a piece of pipe that the axle can fit into, and is longer than the shaft, wrap the top of the pipe with a rag, insert joint tripod end down, pull cv/axle assembly up about 10 in. then slam down on the pipe, the weight if the axle will pull itself out of the joint, good luck
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
The thing is, with the LT kit, I need a complete spare half shaft on hand just in case I break something. I have a stock half shaft and the new longer axle that I need to swap out but can't do the outer so thus the problem. I guess I'll just ask TC on how they did it since they did it to two of mine on the 4runner.

Thanks
Oh I see. Nevermind then.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short shafts are hard to slam separate.

When the shop I was at did a lot of these, we just sent them out to the place that rebuilt our joints. They had a tool to separate them. Might be worth investigating.

I have never slammed apart a birf from a solid axle or a CV without it being hell on the inner cage of the joint.

Your truck looks great Lance. Any progress on a front locker?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My suggestion was going to be the pipe thing as its retained with a spring loaded c clip just like a solid axle shaft.

never done it though.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the ideas guys but I really don't want to slam the cv joint so I'll just see if TC has the tools and the means to do this since they did 2 so I don't see why they can't do one for me too

Cheese, the front locker is in production but I'm going to be holding out on it for a bit. With no gears available I really don't want to install the front only to later do gears again. Then again riding on 35's are no fun on stock 3.73's so I'm hoping someone will make em like yesterday. O yeah, Thanks for the comps!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Then again riding on 35's are no fun on stock 3.73's so I'm hoping someone will make em like yesterday.
Pfff...I don't think you can complain Mr. V8...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA

Edit:
And yes, the search didn't find anything of any use for me since most were discussing removal of the half shaft or boot replacement. I'm looking for something more detailed in the tear down of the actual joint itself.
Sorry, I see now.
Sounded like you were trying to remove the axle from the truck.
Before I discovered how cheap replacement asemblies were, I too tried to disassemble the CV joint itself while trying to figure out where my noise was coming from. Didn't manage to get it apart... Tulip/tripod no problem, CV joint no joy.

edit - One of the mechanics from down the hall tells me that you can usually turn the thing like 90 degrees and rotate it around and find a spot where the balls will fall out. After a couple balls fall out the whole thing will come apart. He then said if it has any wear and you don't put it back together exactly the same way it won't be any good anymore. He *usually* knows what he's talking about - Dunno if this is helpful.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 12-14-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. What I'm looking for is how to disassemble the outer cv joint from the axle itself. I was able to remove the inner cv joint's tripod by following the directions per the FSM but apparently there's no real documentation on how to tear down the outer cv joint and the axle itself. Since I know there's a pin/clip attached at the end of the axle I have no way of accessing it. The dang ball bearings get in the way and the outer one has the the stud so I'm fresh out of creative ideas.

Outside of using a press to get the sucker apart I was hoping someone might have some suggestions.

Edit:

Lance, any update on this?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for bumpin my thread, I totally forgot to revisit this one.

I ended up running out of time and had Total Chaos remove the axle shaft for me. I have been told that a bhd would have done the job but since it was my first time I really didn't want to break more than what I can chew. When I do need to get another axle I'll give it a whirl and document it better.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for bumpin my thread, I totally forgot to revisit this one.

I ended up running out of time and had Total Chaos remove the axle shaft for me. I have been told that a bhd would have done the job but since it was my first time I really didn't want to break more than what I can chew. When I do need to get another axle I'll give it a whirl and document it better.

Thanks!
What's a bhd? I have heard of a BFH...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

hahaha I'm just having one of those days... it's bfh... somehow my brain decided to go south pretty early today.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Lance,
Did you ever figure out how to do this? Did I read it right, just hit it with a BFH?